Please help! Best headphones for my specific situation
May 6, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #16 of 28
It's funny that nobody mentioned any japanese cans. Everyone suggested American. I think He or She is in Japan. Ha Ha Ha.
Any suggestions for great japanese phones for his physical and economical situation???

May 6, 2004 at 1:28 PM Post #17 of 28
hello everyone again.

Yes, I am in Nagoya, Japan.

And, I really dont have a budget. Its more like I will take the cost vs product ration into consideration and choose the one with the best ratio. So, I wouldnt pay 2000 dollars for a phone that is only marginally better than a 500 dollar one. I dont really want to spend more than 500 or so, but if there is something that is really worth it, then I will spend the extra money.

Thanks again.

May 6, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #18 of 28
Since you are in Japan, give CD900ST a try. Strong bass, intense high (not "screechy", though), so forwarded even background becomes foreground. Usually not recommended for classicals, but who knows, you might like it.

May 6, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #19 of 28
Like a faint ghostly voice in the mists behind you of a dark room, the words ring out to you in eerie tones, "E a r C a n a l P h o n e s"

Isolation... the noise coming from the car (which you do know, is a very loud noise) is greatly reduced by use of ear plugs. Which are what most ear canal phones are... they just got speakers inside.

Bass? It's upclose and personal. You'll need dual drivers for best performance (as one driver is dedicated entirely to bass) though there are some cheaper solutions. Even though canal phone isolate, you still will be able to hear the outside noises, and they will distort your music. As a portable phone, you won't really need things like $500 shures (although they do sound very nice), as E2cs or ER6s will do just find for your needs. After all, when external noises distrupt your phones, will it really matter how good they sound? I can't even tell the quality of my sound file encoding in the midst of a freeway.

Personally... me walking around with such expensive equipment just makes me paranoid at everything. People will go to tap my shoulder to get my attention, and I'll slap them away thinking they're trying to steal my stuff or something... that's why I don't walk around with expensive devices. Most I'd ever carry outside would be Shure E2Cs... but even they are kinda expensive. Just makes you a target for hit and runs by theives.

May 7, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #20 of 28
Thanks for the advice Sczervok.

I dont use a car much, just trains. Actually, they are louder. Where I live, for the most part, using a car is a pain in the ass, although nice on bad weather days. And, also, thats one of the reasons I love Japan, I really dont have to worry even a little about someone stealing my stuff. If I left my wallet in a restaurant, I would have 95% faith that someone would have given to the manager and it would be waiting for me. And, people wouldnt know whats expensive or not here, just cool or not cool.

May 7, 2004 at 7:03 AM Post #22 of 28
Hi,

If you need isolation on the train then you do need canal 'phones. I personaly use ER4's but do not wish to join the shure vs ety debate since both have their supporters and detractors. If your Zen Xtra is not an EU limited unit then you will not need an amplifier unless you utilise the ER4P to S adaptor. However, an amplifier will improve the sound irrespective of which model you choose. The top shure will give you hiss on a Zen Xtra when there is no music playing i.e gaps/pauses between tracks. If you are going to get expensive headphones then to do them justice you must encode your own CD's in order to get the requisite quality. The generaly accepted route for the best quality is EAC>Lame>(MP3 tag or equivalent if necessary)> MP3 gain.(IMHO)
If you decide on canal 'phones then Todd will send them to you as a gift if you ask him nicely, thus keeping the cost down.
Regards

May 7, 2004 at 9:56 AM Post #23 of 28
Grados aren't definitely "train" cans!!! They don't seal due to their supra-aural design, plus they're opened. You really have to crank up the volume to beat the noise in the metro/train.

I would go for ear canal phones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nipponbiki
And, also, thats one of the reasons I love Japan, I really dont have to worry even a little about someone stealing my stuff. If I left my wallet in a restaurant, I would have 95% faith that someone would have given to the manager and it would be waiting for me. And, people wouldnt know whats expensive or not here, just cool or not cool.

Yeah, that's what I appreciated when I lived in Japan....however here in HK, the situation is also good. Back in Europe, it's worse....

May 7, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #24 of 28
What about a Stax SRM-001 amp with the little eletrostatic canalphones? Wouldn't have to worry about how well they are driven off a Nomad, and you get the cool conversation starter "I have 500 volt headphones in my ears"

May 8, 2004 at 8:37 AM Post #25 of 28
thanks taylor for that suggestion. anyone know anything about this stax amp/phone thing? however, that got me to thinking. i am willing to buy an amp, but i am not willing to pay for new batteries every other day. so, if thats how it is for all amps, then i will become against buying an amp.

how would i go about finding out more about the custom earcanal phones?

May 9, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #28 of 28
Get recharable batteries. 4 AAs (2 for in the amp, 2 in the charger so that you don't need a wait) and a charger will set you back $15 or so, which is good, considering regular AAs are like $0.50 a piece and you won't need to replace rechargables for ~10 years, which, by then, you'll have something better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back