Please Help Best Headphone under $100 for highs, mids
Feb 17, 2014 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ikkx

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a headphone that's good at highs, mids, Bass isn't really that important, I'll link my lastfm profile to give you an idea http://www.last.fm/user/Metaldino .

I want something that's preferably wearable portable, unamped since i'm on a limited budget. My thoughts are:

Sennheiser HD 439 (Refurbished for $50)
Superlux HD668B/661/681
JVC HARX900
ULTRASONE HS-15
Sony MDR 7502
Audio-Technica ATH-M40
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S
Koss Portapro

I can go under $100 if there is any really big difference in quality, but preferably 50-60 range

Thanks for any help in advance.

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 18
Koss Porta Pro are the best you can get at its price point. Besides that though, I wouldn't get anything else under $50. There just aren't that many good headphones for that cheap. Most will break, and if a $50 headphone breaks and needs to be replaced, you might as well have spent $100 to begin with.

Are you open to IEMs? Thinksound TS02 and Etymotics HF5 can both be found under $100. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 18
  Koss Porta Pro are the best you can get at its price point. Besides that though, I wouldn't get anything else under $50. There just aren't that many good headphones for that cheap. Most will break, and if a $50 headphone breaks and needs to be replaced, you might as well have spent $100 to begin with.

Are you open to IEMs? Thinksound TS02 and Etymotics HF5 can both be found under $100. 

plenty of these headphones are on discounts, have you looked them up

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 18
I have both the Superlux 668b and the Panasonic HTF600 and I can say they are both much better than you would think for the price. I much prefer the Panasonic to the Superlux for the type of music I listen to - EDM, trance, pop, hip hop. The base is deep and tight and the separation is excellent. The Superlux (any of them) might be better for you since the bass is thinner but the clarity is excellent. The treble on these for me were nice after about 100 hours of play time. You don't have to spend big bucks to have an excellent listening experience.

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 18
I have both the Superlux 668b and the Panasonic HTF600 and I can say they are both much better than you would think for the price. I much prefer the Panasonic to the Superlux for the type of music I listen to - EDM, trance, pop, hip hop. The base is deep and tight and the separation is excellent. The Superlux (any of them) might be better for you since the bass is thinner but the clarity is excellent. The treble on these for me were nice after about 100 hours of play time. You don't have to spend big bucks to have an excellent listening experience.

What about the 439hd

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 18
Consider Atlas from MEElectronics. From personal experience, they sound better than at least half of what's on the list. :)

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 18
If you're looking for a portable, you'll want a closed model, so no Grados or Kosses. I enjoy both and the price are fair, but you won't be able to listen outdoors or in public places.

HF5 is a great choice. It has a clear, analytical sound. The cables aren't ideal (they bear some noise) though you might be able to recable it.

Some of the on ear JVCs are good: HA-S500 is surprisingly good and has pretty good build quality. Note that the sound is quite V-shaped, so it's hard to hear the mids.

Whatever you choose, at some point try Koss KSC75. It's often on sale for $10. I really dig that little clip on. But I've found that every second one breaks early. They have lifetime warranty though.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #11 of 18
Sorry - don't have any experience with the 439hd.

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 18
Creative Aurvana Live - known as ex Denon 1xxx - just amazing sound quality for the price plus lots of fun. I don't know if you can get a more fun (prat) headphone than CAL in its budget.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #13 of 18

I strongly disagree. That might have been true years ago. By todays stantards Porta Pro's are only slightly above average in sound quality for it's price. I like them with grado pads but on stock form those are disappointing. Porta pro's have slow bloated bass, recessed mids, no soundstage and lack detail on all frequencies. One of my favorite cheap headphones, Takstar HI2050 can be had for less than $50. Hinges are aluminium, pads velour and overall build quality is excellent. Digitech pro monitors are 50$ and are build better than most 150$ headphones. Both of these headphones sound a lot better than porta pros. There atleast dozen headphones priced similarly to porta pros which out perform the kosses. Most of those are full size headphones but Porta Pro's are not that great even as portables. Atleast jvc ha-s400, CAL! and fa-004 clones sound better.

As for other headphones mentioned in this thread:

Sennheiser HD 439 (Refurbished for $50)    Too big for portable use
Superlux HD668B/661/681                         Too big for portable use
JVC HARX900                                           Too big for portable use
ULTRASONE HS-15                                   I doubt headset is what you want
Sony MDR 7502                                         Nothing to say about these, but if these were good there would propably be more reviews available
Audio-Technica ATH-M40                             If you mean ath-m40fs it has 6,5mm plug so wont work as portable
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S                             These could work, but are quite bassy and highs and mids are quite smooth/veiled so might not be what op wants
Koss Portapro                                             ---
UE4000                                                      This has mids and highs of a subwoofer
CAL!                                                           These could be what you want. Warm, fun and quite bassy so if you want more clarity on highs and midrange you have to keep looking
JVC ha-s500                                                Never heard these but JVC has-s400 is excellent so don't cross these of the list

If you are not comfortable with iem's you might want to look into jvc ha-s500 and s400. Propably s400 suits you better because it's is supposed to be less bassy than s500. Cal is great but like I said it's quite colored. Also look around for good deals on sennheiser PX 100-II. I have not heard it but it might be what you are looking for.

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #14 of 18
I strongly disagree. That might have been true years ago. By todays stantards Porta Pro's are only slightly above average in sound quality for it's price. I like them with grado pads but on stock form those are disappointing. Porta pro's have slow bloated bass, recessed mids, no soundstage and lack detail on all frequencies. One of my favorite cheap headphones, Takstar HI2050 can be had for less than $50. Hinges are aluminium, pads velour and overall build quality is excellent. Digitech pro monitors are 50$ and are build better than most 150$ headphones. Both of these headphones sound a lot better than porta pros. There atleast dozen headphones priced similarly to porta pros which out perform the kosses. Most of those are full size headphones but Porta Pro's are not that great even as portables. Atleast jvc ha-s400, CAL! and fa-004 clones sound better.

As for other headphones mentioned in this thread:

Sennheiser HD 439 (Refurbished for $50)    Too big for portable use
Superlux HD668B/661/681                         Too big for portable use
JVC HARX900                                           Too big for portable use
ULTRASONE HS-15                                   I doubt headset is what you want
Sony MDR 7502                                         Nothing to say about these, but if these were good there would propably be more reviews available
Audio-Technica ATH-M40                             If you mean ath-m40fs it has 6,5mm plug so wont work as portable
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S                             These could work, but are quite bassy and highs and mids are quite smooth/veiled so might not be what op wants
Koss Portapro                                             ---
UE4000                                                      This has mids and highs of a subwoofer
CAL!                                                           These could be what you want. Warm, fun and quite bassy so if you want more clarity on highs and midrange you have to keep looking
JVC ha-s500                                                Never heard these but JVC has-s400 is excellent so don't cross these of the list

If you are not comfortable with iem's you might want to look into jvc ha-s500 and s400. Propably s400 suits you better because it's is supposed to be less bassy than s500. Cal is great but like I said it's quite colored. Also look around for good deals on sennheiser PX 100-II. I have not heard it but it might be what you are looking for.

How about best full size headphones in your opinion, without having to be portable. I just bought monoprice so I think I'll just be using those for outside.

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #15 of 18
Takstar HI2050 has good mids and highs. Highs can be bit too much if source is bright. Pioneer se-a1000 is also excellent. Highs are smoother than on takstars. Audio Technica ath-m40fs has very clear sound. It is recommendable for poor recordings but if you listen to well recorded music preferably in lossless format m40fs is great. It might sound boring for some people because it is so analytical...I enjoy it though. Buying used is also an option. However I can't make recommendations on best headphones over 100$ that you shoul consider used. My knowledge about headphones is strictly limited on headphones below 100$ and over 300$ :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back