Please help. A quick question about cheap soundcards with optical out.
Sep 2, 2009 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

berryjuice

New Head-Fier
I'm currently on the market for cheap soundcard with optical out that will be mainly used as a pass through for my DAC? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no difference in sound quality between a high end sound card and low/cheap one if I will be using the optical out of the sound card to the optical in of my DAC right?

About the soundcards, I really don't know if these cards support optical out on their digital out port. I've already searched the net and there seems to be not much of a discussion about these cards using optical out so I'm hesitant to buy them.
Sound Blaster Live!: TipidPC.com | creative sound blaster live almost new
Audigy Value: TipidPC.com | Audigy Value

Will I still achieve bit perfect data from these cards? If these cards doesn't support optical out, could you recommend a cheap pci sound card that has optical out, probably a Creative since they are more locally available here in the Philippines.

Thanks guys.

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 11
Optical output is raw binary data, which has nothing to do with SQ. Optical output should have consistent bit to bit data from one device to another be it a soundcard or your pc. The external dac will be the decider in terms of sound quality as well as the original sampling rate.

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Optical output is raw binary data, which has nothing to do with SQ. Optical output should have consistent bit to bit data from one device to another be it a soundcard or your pc. The external dac will be the decider in terms of sound quality as well as the original sampling rate.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you're right. So that just implies that there is no difference between a low end card and a high end one if I'll just use their optical out connected to a DAC which will do the processing right? That's why I'm looking for a very cheap pci sound card that has optical output for pass-through sound data only. It will be greatly appreciated if you can recommend very cheap one and preferably a Creative.

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 11
My computer does not have the RCA digital output. My DAC can accept USB, Coax, and Optical (iBasso D10). I will also be needing the optical out to feed a receiver which only accepts an optical or coax.

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by berryjuice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply. Yes, you're right. So that just implies that there is no difference between a low end card and a high end one if I'll just use their optical out connected to a DAC which will do the processing right? That's why I'm looking for a very cheap pci sound card that has optical output for pass-through sound data only. It will be greatly appreciated if you can recommend very cheap one and preferably a Creative.

There should be no difference between a high end or low end card if one only needs optical output - the device simply passes on the raw digital into its S/PDIF port to the connected DAC.

Bit perfect is hotly debated whether there is SQ differences, IMO errors would be inaudible in the real world.

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then how do people hear differences between £50 DVD digital out to a £5000 CD transport when playing CD's?

Good question, how do they?
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #10 of 11
Creative doesn't allow bitperfect output. At least the two I had could not anyway.

I had an Audigy 2ZS pro and a Xfi gamer. They both have mandatory upsampling to 48 khz for the onboard DSP. There's no way to lock it at 44.1 khz for CD audio.

I had to get a $40 Cmedia based soundcard.

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then how do people hear differences between £50 DVD digital out to a £5000 CD transport when playing CD's?

And the type of cable (coax or toslink), type of connector (rca or xlr) or the quality of the cable
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back