Please help a newbie with AKG K701's !
May 28, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #16 of 36
Wow,

some of these DACs are not inexpensive, which, I guess, is not surprising.

I have the 701's and the same problem, my pre/pro's head phone amp isn't powerful enough to drive them. And, I hear you on the 650 vs the detail of the 701's. You must admit, the detail is just amazing.

I'm so pleased with my 701's that I just purchased a Zana Deux. I'm sure I'll be able to tweak the amp to my liking ... I can't wait!

Good luck with your quest, with whatever you decide to do.

John

May 28, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #17 of 36
the dac1 will drive the k701's with utmost precision. it will be neutral,clinical and analytical. not most peoples idea of a good time. it is mine though. i was one of a handfull of people that hated the dac1 then grew to love it. as for power, i cannot turn the dac1 past 10'oclock with the pad on 0db into k701's.

the presonus is very different. with the 701's you will think it has tubes in it. it is not mushy or too soft. just warm and big headstage front-back and side-side.

i am now a really big fan of one box combos. shorter signal path and all the other benefits.

there are better amps, expect to pay over $1,000usd. then you still need a dac if you want one. i do not see using the dac1 or presonus cs with external amps. those units run the outputs through the headphone amps. so using a external amp is going to be influenced by their sound anyways.

try running the 701's balanced on the dac1 and the presonus. pretty good stuff.

you will always see me praising both of these units. i like them. i have tried a lot of other gear and this is all i use now. of course this is my subjective opinion as is everything else you read here. best bet is to listen with your own ears.

one thing that is not subjective is the pages of the dac1's specs. it is a high performance machine. presonus does not publish all that because it is pro-sumer audio gear. the benchmark is pro. it probably recorded plenty of what you listen to. it was good enough to make the cd's and i personally like to hear them played back as they were recorded. the benchmark does that like no other imo. ymmv.

music_man

May 28, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #18 of 36
From Music Man's description of the DAC1, you'll get the very sound you're trying to get away from, meaning, the 701's will be even more analytical, detailed and cold sounding, as compared to the 650's, which currently pique your interest.

As MM suggests, this is all very subjective and involves personal taste. Before you make any choices, you need to decide what type of sound you like best.

John

May 28, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Good question, but I'm not sure if I can check this. The 1212m only has balanced 1/4" sockets and I don't have a suitable adapter.

Recabling the K701 to balanced doesn't hurt them
wink.gif

May 29, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #20 of 36
SoundCarrier, I run a pair of k701s myself. I just received my HeedAudio Canamp today and I'd have to say, like some have already posted in this thread, that an amp makes night and day difference. I, as a newbie, have learned (thanks to people on the Canamp forum, as well as now in my own experience) that even though your headphones can be loud enough, that doesn't at all mean that it is powered enough or properly driven. My k701s were plenty loud out of my XM7.1 card, but I found that it is totally different running through an amp. What an amp brings you is significant improvement to sound 'quality' and not the loudness. My Canamp is barely burned-in at all as of this moment, but they make my k701s sound worlds better as compared to running ampless. The k701 is like a big showerhead, and you need a big pump to power it, hehe.

If you are interested you can go to the Canamp thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...94441&page=109

May 29, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #21 of 36
To make the 701s sound even decent you need to re-cable them and spend at least $12,000 on a decent amp.

Just kidding!!! No matter what I plug my 701s into, they always sound the same, almost perfect, except for a lower midrange hump.

May 29, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #22 of 36
That´s the other extreme. My cheap headphone amp doesn´t improve so much compared to a headphone jack in a cd-player. But my tube headphone amp drive my K-701 to heaven. Can´t live without him.

But i doubt that amps above thousand Dollars will bring much improvement.

May 29, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #23 of 36
audiomagnate,
that is wierd,
my 701's sound almost perfect except for a lower midrange dip??? LOL!

Jun 2, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To make the 701s sound even decent you need to re-cable them and spend at least $12,000 on a decent amp.

Just kidding!!! No matter what I plug my 701s into, they always sound the same, almost perfect, except for a lower midrange hump.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nattydraddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That´s the other extreme. My cheap headphone amp doesn´t improve so much compared to a headphone jack in a cd-player. But my tube headphone amp drive my K-701 to heaven. Can´t live without him.

But i doubt that amps above thousand Dollars will bring much improvement.

Yeah, the K701s are an amazing pair of headphones!
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't afford a tube amp, but this little humble Canamp I've just got is doing the K701s justice. SoundCarrier I think you should give it a go with good amplification before deciding to ditch them, because right now I think they are just not getting enough fuel. After that you can decide if you like the sound signature or not, but at least let them be at their full potential before giving the verdict. Hehe, good luck mate!
biggrin.gif

P.S: Some have said the K701s have thin bass, well I felt that before pairing the amp, now they vibrate like my phone on silent...
basshead.gif
Well, almost, haha. Wouldn't want to blow out my eardrums.

Jun 2, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremiah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the K701s are an amazing pair of headphones!
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't afford a tube amp, but this little humble Canamp I've just got is doing the K701s justice. SoundCarrier I think you should give it a go with good amplification before deciding to ditch them, because right now I think they are just not getting enough fuel. After that you can decide if you like the sound signature or not, but at least let them be at their full potential before giving the verdict. Hehe, good luck mate!
biggrin.gif

P.S: Some have said the K701s have thin bass, well I felt that before pairing the amp, now they vibrate like my phone on silent...
basshead.gif
Well, almost, haha. Wouldn't want to blow out my eardrums.

I am running a CAL tube dac with a SP extreme P modded and I can't be happier. Plenty of bass when the music calls for it. Not sub bass, but then very few hps can without being boomy. Vocals and acoustic music is as good as I've heard (outside of electrostatics).

Jun 2, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundCarrier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

A few months ago I bought a pair of AKG K701 headphones. I love audio and was so excited about getting them, but to be honest I've been very disappointed
frown.gif
I find them to be harsh, cold and lacking in low end. To hear any sort of detail in the music, they have to be run at high volume levels, which I really don't like.

I know that these are very highly regarded headphones, so either they are just not to my taste or there's something else wrong (possibly the amplification). I would *really* appreciate your opinions this, as I'm at the point of selling the 701s and treating my brief foray into the world of high end headphones as an expensive mistake
frown.gif

My current setup:

Emu 1212m -> Balanced Cables -> Tapco 6306 Mixer -> K701

The 6306 mixer is basically a budget Mackie mixer which cost around £70 new. (I make music and use the mixer to control the volume of my main monitors.) I assume that its headphone amp is terrible, and not doing the 701's justice. I'm sure that some of you are recoiling in horror right now
wink.gif

Could the problems I've been having (cold, harsh sound, lack of bass, no detail at low volumes) be explained by the headphone amp? Could a good amp make such a big difference to the sound? I appreciate that these may be slightly stupid/obvious questions for you, but I'm new to the head-fi way!

I'm sure you will appreciate that after my initial disappointment, I'm reluctant to spend even more money unless there's a good chance that it will solve the problem.

I read about the Benchmark DAC1, which sounded very interesting, as it would allow me to get rid of the 6306 mixer, giving my main monitors the benefit of the new DAC and freeing up the analogue outs on the 1212m for other things. However, I've read on this site that some people find the DAC1->k701 combo to be overly harsh, which is exactly what I'm trying to get away from!
eek.gif

So, the question: could I buy a DAC and amp (or maybe a DAC containing a good amp?) for under £600 which will transform my headphones?

Sorry for the long post. Any help is much appreciated.

Sound Carrier, several things here. But most importantly don't give up on this level of audio. You just haven't found what rings your bell yet. Part of your problem sounds like your amplification. And some of what you describe sounds like my impressions of the 701s (cold, lacking bass and I'll add lifeless) at whatever level of amplification balanced or not. I've heard the 701s burned in and through some very good amps, including balanced amps. They definately improve with better amplification and balanced 701 through a high end amp was as good as they got for me. But in the end the 701 has always been very uninvolving for me. I just came to the conclusion that I'm not a 701 person even though intellectually i can hear some good things in them. But lacking details is not one of the raps against the 701s and that sounds like an amp issue.

If you are looking at DACs you might consider the Apogee MiniDAC. I don't know this from personal experience, but from my research (it's a piece of gear on my short list) it is supposed to be one of the warmer DAC in the under $1000 (US) category.

You could almost break down head-fi into 3 camps, the AKG camp, the Sennheiser 580/600/650 camp, and the Grado camp. You will get folks who are very passionate about one of those three and the more passionate of the camps regularly throw rocks at each other. (I may get some rocks thrown for this post-we'll see.) And the truth, according to me, is that there are good cans in each camp and but they are different flavors and what you like is based upon personal preference. And you are the only one who can decide where you fall--and that takes some experience. I also am one who believes that I shouldn't have to work too hard to try to get myself to like soomething. There are too many options out there to try to shoe horn me into one. That said I believe that burn is is a real thing but I never expect a nigh/day difference. (And I have had one of the most burn in intense and dependent cans in the Ultrasone 750.)

So you might start looking around for where you could gain some of that experience. Meets are a great way to get samples (but usually not a detailed exposure) of sound signatures of different gear. Plus you could take you 701s along and hook it up to some of the better amps there and see if your experience of the 701s change.

Another thing you might do is to fill out your profile. Let people know where you live and what you have. Also fill in your musical preferences as some cans just go better with certain types of music. You might find someone near you who would let you hear some of their gear. Or there might be music store resources near-by, especially if you are in a major city. If I knew you were in LA for example, I could point you in several directions (but you probably wouldn't be mentioning a budget in pounds if you were here). And another thing I do is to look at peoples profiles to see where they are coming from/ their point of reference. If someone tells me that 701s and Senn 650s and Ultrasones etc are junk, and then I see in their profile that they have Sony MDR-10 or Senn HE90s (two of the more expensive and good out of production headphones) then I can adjust what they are saying. Likewise if someones best headphone is the Koss KSC 75, then any major full size headphone is going to be a big improvement. (And this is not to knock the KSC 75, one of the truly great bargains (at $15-25 US) in audio IMO--just not high end. But check my profile.)

If I had to pick one of the three camps, I'd put myself in the Sennheiser camp--to let you know my bias/preference. But (and her comes my plug) recently I've been more into Ultrasones. I mention this because one of their top mid level headphone is the PROline 750 ($260-400 US depending on the outlet). It is a closed can and is one of the favorites of recording studios in LA according to one of the top Pro/SemiPro shops in the area that I've frequented over the years.

For music listening I find it a very enjoyable sound that has a lot of bass and is very different from the 701s. It also has a lot of detail, a big soundstage, yet a lot of bass that makes it more involving than the 701s for me. Its pretty easy on amp needs (the 701s and the Senns can put a lot of requirements on the amp and it seems that he Grados can be picky too but I'm less sure of this point). And the 750s could do some double duty for monitoring your mixes. I should think that a muscian supply store would have some of these that you could hear as they are pretty popular in the recording world.

Plan on spending time to aquaint yourself with the differnet options out there. I did a lot of reading on this site to get a sense of the the sound signatures of the different headphones and amps. Then I went out and was able to hear most of what I'd read about. And when I got the "ears on" experience, I found that a lot of what I'd come to in my reading turned out to be very close to my listening experience. But I had to learn to filter out the more rabid and absolute statements to get to a more accurate sense of the reality behind the hyperbole. Remember that in the end it is people arguing for the rightness of their personal taste.

There are other sub camps out there like the Beyer folks and AudioTechnica that fall somewhere in between the Big Three (my perception/my term).

Keep looking and you'll find it, but it will probably cost you more than you were planning. Good luck and have fun.

I sign off with the Head-fi salute (as it bears repeating): Sorry about your wallet.

Jun 2, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #27 of 36
One other thing. There are lots of different ways to go about collecting gear. I tend to go for as much quality as I can afford. And I'd rather get one good piece and wait on another piece if I have to. So rather than look to get an amp and a DAC, I'd probably put my money into one good piece. I looks like you've got to get that mixer out of your signal chain. So if music enjoyment is the immediate need then you might want to focus on the amp in that you have a DAC with the 1212 (some adapters can convert balanced into RCAs). Then someting like to Heed Canamp a good bang for the buck amp that should drive 701s or Senn 650s well--with money left over for the future DAC fund. Or spending all the budget (I am thinking that 600 pounds is about $1000 US--correct?) on something like the entry level Singlepower Extreme (not my amp) gets you a very nice tube amp that could last you for quite awhile. Then you save for the quality DAC.

These are options that only you can sort out for yourself based upon your priorities.

Jun 2, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #28 of 36
I skimmed this thread , so pardon me if you already answered this, but the K701 must be worked up to.

By this I mean that most people think iPod buds sound OK when they first get them until the hear a low priced but reasonable alternative (Sennheiser MX550 for example). After that they then get exposed to the next level. At which point they realise the deficiencies of the preceding step.

With this in mind, if you jump to the K701 they can sound cold and sterile rather than clean and revealing. I worked up through the K501 and senn HD580, but the K701 were quite cold and sterile to my ears when I first got them, but I persevered and now I love them; I think I just grew into them. I still love the K501 and HD580, but the K701 offers a different sound.

I guess what I am suggesting is that while you will read all about burn-in and better amplification. Perhaps you just haven't worked up to them yet.

The other option is that you just don't like the sound of the K701, which is quite different from the earlier K501 and vastly different from the Sennheiser sound. Maybe they're not for you yet - or ever.

I write this not to offend you or others who have responded - with the best of intentions - but to propose an alternative view from the "spend more money and you'll like them" school of thought.

Jun 30, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #30 of 36
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your replies. Sorry I haven't replied sooner - I've been away from head-fi for a while. I've read all of your opinions with interest and appreciate the time you've taken to share your thoughts.

Well, here's a quick update of my situation: I sold my k701s. I know that they are excellent headphones and also understand that I wasn't hearing them at their best due to lack good amplification. However, I came to the conclusion that they were just too far from the sound that I personally prefer.

I've now bought a set of Sennheiser HD650s, and I'm much much happier with the sound. They obviously have a very different character from the k701s, and it's a character which is more to my personal taste. I can appreciate why the k701s appeal to many people, but I just don't think that the sound is right for my ears.

Apart from the headphones, everything else in my system is the same as before, but the sound is pretty much perfect... I now understand why people advise finding the right headphones first, then choosing the other system components based on the sound of your preferred headphones (rather than building a system around, say, a specific amp).

Now, if an amp will make these Sennheisers even better... well... I understand why your greeting is "sorry about your wallet"
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again everyone!
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back