Please help a newb set up 5.1 surround on his crappy receiver
Jun 1, 2005 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

csice

New Head-Fier
I have a Kenwood VR-517, I have an optical cable, I have set all inputs to automatic/digital, and now it seems all I am supposed to do is hit listen mode until I find Dolby Digital, but it is not there. I have stereo, 3 stereo, pro logic, and all the othersin listening mode, but no Dolby Digital. I am obviiously unexperienced with all of this, and to have gotten the cable and to figure out what to basicly do, for me, was impressive. So if any of you can help, that would be great. Thanks

Jun 1, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 11
I don't think there is a set up in for dolby in the ps2, and my dvd player is set up for Dolby I believe, but I still can't select Dolby Digitil in listening mode...I don't know why. Is there anything in particular I have to do to make that option available in listening mode, or should it have always been there? Because if the latter is true, then my receiver is broken or something.

Jun 1, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 11
Ya, I have set it to auto detect/digital, which in the manual, it says that "it will then select the listening mode automatically during playback to match the type of input signal (Dolby Digital, PCM, DTS) and the speaker setting." But after that it says that "once the video software has begun playing to press the listen mode key to select the listening mode. The listening mode settings are stored seperately for each input, if the input mode is set to digital auto, the receiver selects the optimal listening mode automatically based on the type of input signal and the speaker settings. When the Dobly Digital signal is input: (the Dolby Digital, pro logic, or 3 stereo indicator lights up)." But for me, there is no Dolby Digital, so either it is already automatically selected somehow, but not displayed, or I need to choose it and it is not there.

Jun 1, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 11
no, you have to go into the ps2 menu, or the ps2 dvd menu,

there should be an option for pcm or bitstream.

whatever its set at, switch to the other.
you ps2 is probably set to send out only stereo signals by default.

if you ps2 is only sending out 2 channel stereo your receiver wont pick up 5.1

Jun 1, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #8 of 11
I think both DVD players and the PS2 have options to output PCM or Bitstream. You have to have your DVD player set to output Bitstream.

Jun 1, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks guys, it seems to be working now. Just to be certain though, the listening mode doesn't have to be set to anything special right? Because it is on pro logic now and it seems to be working.

Jun 1, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #10 of 11
you ps2 only plays prologic during live gaming, and uses dd 5.1 on games that support it in cutscenes. the reason for this is the PS2 does not have enough processing power.

pro logic matrixes pseudo suround sound from 2 channel stereo.
a convincing 5.1 mix however can result in a stereo mix that was optimized for pro logic.

pro logic uses mono surround channels
pro logic 2 uses stereo surround channels

Jun 1, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #11 of 11
and most importantly prologic is != dolby digital. So if you are playing a 5.1 surround dvd and it still says prologic something is still wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back