Please help a Headphone Amp newbie
Mar 15, 2012 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

latimerfripp

New Head-Fier
hello. I have a Trafomatic Head One Headphone Amp, and I connect it to a Nuforce Icon HD(USB Headphone Amp+DAC) with Sennheiser HD800
Now I want to use the Trafomatic as the Headphone Amp and the Nuforce HD as the DAC. when i connect them both I need to adjust the volume at both devices, and it makes alot of noises and I don't think i'm doing it right. maybe the Nuforce amp is still working or there's another thing I need to know?

thanks, sorry if I don't make any sense

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 10
How are you connecting the two together?  If you are using the heaphone out jack on the Icon to feed into the Trafomatic, this is called "double amping" and will lead to very bad sound quality.

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 10
From a technical standpoint, you have them hooked up correctly.  Then, the best way to control the volume in a setup like this with two volume pots is to set the Trafomatic to maximum volume and then use the volume pot on the Icon to control your listening volume.  Doing so minimizes voltage mismatches and clipping.

But, saying that, (and I have the Trafomatic myself), the weakest link in your system in the Icon.  The Trafomatic is a wonderful amp and deserves a good source.  I'd ditch the Icon and get yourself a dedicated DAC with a standard line out signal.  I'd be willing to bet that the noise you are experiencing is caused by the Icon.  Ditch it and let the Trafomatic shine.

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 10
thank you for the help. what standalone DACS can you recommend for me?(although I heard that the DAC on the HD is great so i don't want to get rid of it so fast)
I need one with USB because I listen through the computer.
and can you explain more about what is a standard line out and why i need it?

thanks again.

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 10
The output on your Icon is called variable because the volume pot controls the level of the output.  A standard line out, called a fixed output, isn't controlled by a volume pot.  It's a regular signal, usually between 1 and 2 volts.  Anytime you combine two volume pots, the potential for noise and clipping increases.  I would look for a DAC without a variable, volume controlled output.

DACs to look into would be:

Schiit Bifrost
Musical Fidelity V-DAC II
Firestone Spitfire II
Peachtree Dac it

Any of these would be an upgrade over the Icon.

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 10
P.S.  Try hooking up the Icon the way I described above with the Trafomatic volume at 100%.  Start with the Icon at the lowest setting.  See if the noise disappears.  If not, try a regular CD player or DVD player and see if the noise is gone (put the Trafomatic volume back to the lowest setting before turning it on).  If the Icon makes the noise, but the CD player does not, then the Icon needs to go.

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 10
You're welcome.  Did you try another source to see if there is noise?  Eliminate all possibilities before you spend money on a new DAC.

Quote:
Alright, again thanks for the help. i will look for a usc dac and hope everything will sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back