Please Help a head-fi newbie choose: 7509 vs dt770 vs k240
Mar 27, 2007 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

judgeschreber

New Head-Fier
I've got a line on several headphones. I'm into audio, and have fairly nice equipment, but I haven't yet gotten into headphones seriously. These would serve two purposes: to monitor transfers I'm making from vinyl to digital, and for general purpose hifi listening. I'd want something that doesn't require a headphone amp--something I could plug into my computer, my sound card, or my receiver.

These are my options:

Sony 7509 $100
Beyer Dt770 pro $80
AKG k240 $50

I'm not a huge bass-head, but I don't mind a big low end as long as it is tight. I love nice sweet mids and crystal highs, but the highs should never sound shrill and should enable hours of listening without fatigue.

Any recommendations on a good first pair?

Thanks!

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 17
beyers
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 17
dt770. then if you ever have an itch in the future, you can DARTH them!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 17
DT770's would be my choice.

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 17
Yeah, I say the DT770's are a good choice, Got my set yesterday.
After listening for a few hours I really noticed the bass, it gets overbearing on bass heavy songs but otherwise its pretty nice.

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 17
Well, I picked them up today. He ended up having a bunch of other headphones around as well, so I got to test them all out. I was surprised at how bad the Sonys sounded, although he had a pair of v6's that were much better than the 7509's. The k240's were simply not efficient enough for computer output. I ended up buying both the DT770's and the Sony V6's, and I got a good deal on both.

One thing, though, the DT770's are a Pro 600 ohm model. I had thought they only came in 80 and 250 ohms. Funny, though, they were much more efficient than the AKG's, which are rated at 600 ohms as well, and they were almost as efficient as the Sonys, which are a consumer line. They are fine for output straight from a laptop's built-in headphone jack.

Has anyone heard of the 600 ohm version before?

Mar 27, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #9 of 17
If it works then kudos to you, but with my 80 ohm version i have to push my volume way harder than on my A900. I wouldn't think a headphone out on a laptop would be able to push it properly.

Mar 27, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADWulf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it works then kudos to you, but with my 80 ohm version i have to push my volume way harder than on my A900. I wouldn't think a headphone out on a laptop would be able to push it properly.

I agree also. If it works for you then you're set. For me, i would assume hte 600ohm version would require an amp since my X-fi can't get decent volume out of my dt770/80 without an amp.

Mar 27, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 17
Well, listening to them a bit more, I must say I exaggerated when I said they were almost as efficient as the Sony v6's. They are definitely less efficient. However, I find that on my powerbook (which has 16 clicks for volume level) I can listen comfortably at 10-12 clicks, 14 for full-volume listening, but at 15 the volume level gets uncomfortable for me. I haven't tried them with my M-Audio interface yet (because it's a PIA to shut down the computer to plug in the firewire).

So, I guess I don't have a whole lot of headroom for transients etc, and I'm definitely on the high side of output from the computer, but it is still plenty sufficient for me.

Also, having listened for the past couple hours to both the Beyer and the Sony, there's really no contest. During my brief audition when I bought them, the V6's schooled the 7509's, as well as some AT's (I forget the model), so they seemed almost as good as the Beyer's at the time. Now, though, they have a shrill high end that hurts my ears and an exaggerated bass that sounds really unnatural. I realize the Beyers are also heavy in the bass department, but somehow they seem better-integrated into the phones' overall sound--it seems appropriate and rich, and not terribly unnatural. The highs are also clear, but not shrill. The mids are a little laid back for my ideal taste, but whereas the Sony's recessed mids sound outright wrong, the Beyers' recessed mids seem a little more integrated and natural--like it's a style choice rather than a flaw.

Mar 27, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #12 of 17
Hmm, I could swear the 600ohm model is a much older revision than the 250 and 80ohm. As for the v6's, they just need time to break in and by the way, the V6's are very analytical...meaning if they sound shrill a month or two, that's the sound card talking.

Mar 27, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #13 of 17
Gloco, you're right, these are definitely older model Beyers (I bought them used). Also, the fellow I bought them from used them regularly as monitor headphones in his studio, but he said he almost never used the V6's, so it is entirely possible that they are not yet broken in. It's good to know that they might still be a winner...

Mar 27, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by judgeschreber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I realize the Beyers are also heavy in the bass department, but somehow they seem better-integrated into the phones' overall sound--it seems appropriate and rich, and not terribly unnatural. The highs are also clear, but not shrill. The mids are a little laid back for my ideal taste, but whereas the Sony's recessed mids sound outright wrong, the Beyers' recessed mids seem a little more integrated and natural--like it's a style choice rather than a flaw.

I think that is a perfect observation. As I should have said it myself...
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back