Please help a fledgling audiophile...do i need a headphone amp for my ipod?
Apr 12, 2007 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

reorx

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings Head-fiers, long time lurker here...in fact i wanted to join a long time ago (around 3 years ago, but back then head-fi refused web-based emails such as yahoo, so i couldnt register). I was surprised head-fi accepts it now.

Anyway, i finally took my first step to audiphiledom (is there such word?) by buying my very first audiophile-grade earphones, a pair of grado sr-60s. Needless to say, i was blown away upon first listening to it, I started hearing things and little musical details i never realized were there. Oh by the way, i mainly use the grados for my 5.5 80 gig ipod and direct connection to my crappy pc.

But while listening to my ipod, it was nearly at full volume, and i felt it needed more "juice", which is why i am seriously considering buying a headphone amp. That, and the fact that while i was browing the portable rigs secion, i noticed that EVERYONE had a portable amp of some sort, which made me think i wasnt getting all that i could get from both my ipod and my grados.

So first question, do i indeed need an amp with a grado sr-60? Will there be a noticable difference? I listen to mostly high bit rate vbr encoded mp3s, but i can always re-rip to lossless if the need arises.

Second question, what is the price of an entry-level portable amp? what brand? One that is good enough considering my source and headphone, and will show a clear and definite improvement over a non-amped setup.

Third question....ive read all across the board of "imods" and line-out docks, do i need those modifications in my ipod to fully utilize a portable amp?

Sorry for the n00b quesetions, i HAVE searched the board, but everyone seems so advanced in their portable amp set-ups and reviews, while i am utterly clueless regarding this, so i need some basic answers to my basic questions.

Thank you very much, and i look forward to emptying my wallet in this new hobby of mine (guess ill have to quit collecting comics)

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 12
dude. maxed out and still need more juice for an sr-60? i've never heard the combo, but it seems you are in danger of blowing your ears off your face.

someone else should chime in about the volume here.

iPod > Line-Out > Amp... cheaper amps like the pa2v2, Go-Vibe, cMoy, C&C Box, Minibox, iBasso, etc. would work fine.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 12
I think you're looking at a malfunctioning source; max volume on your iPod SR60 and it's not loud enough? Even the Senn 650s are too loud at that level :/

Either that, or you keep upping the volume just to hear that extra ounce more or brilliance; I had this bad habit back when I was using my QC2s. Obtaining an amp would definitely help you rid of this habit and allow you to enjoy music at a much more comfortable level
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 12
Assorted: I think you hit the nail on the head. I max the volume on the ipod nott coz i think its too soft (in fact i find it too loud) but rather to hear those extra details, nuances and brilliance. I guess that was the answer i was looking for, an amp can help me listen to the music at a more comfortable level. Its just that ive been reading on these boards that an sr60 is sufficiently driven by the ipod, and was wondering if an amp would do any good. I guess it does.

Besides, I plan to get more "advanced" earphones in the future, which will require sufficent amplification anyway, might as well start now.

My next problem is i have noooooooo idea what type of amp to buy or how to set it up. Or if ill even make my own, much like the altoids tin cans i see on the portable rig pics. Any recommendations on an entry level portable amp (read: AFFORDABLE, like say under $50) that will help me enjoy my grados even more? Ive never listened to amplifier-driven headphones so i really have no idea what to expect or what i am missing

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 12
Basically a Dock cable takes the line-out audio source from your iPod and connects to the input of the amp of your choice, this gets you a much better signal than the one coming straight out of the headphone jack with an ipod. I'm not sure you will be able to get an amp that will help the sound for under $50, I agree that you should look a little bit higher to be satisfied there.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 12
Do you need an amp? No Should you get an amp? Yes

I would recommended first purchasing one of the many available line out docks
- Turbo makes a few solutions see this link for more information private message him.
- Another head-fier [AK]Zip makes a cable see this link or private message him for more info.
- Then there is Moon Audio, and Qables

From there I would suggest looking at the Go-Vibe amps very respectable amps for the price. The Go-Vibe 5 has been reduced to $45

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 12
actually the question I'd ask is which generation is your ipod?
my 3rd gen has to be maxed out before its even decent.
considering that the SR60s leaks sound.

the SR60s definitely benefits from an amp even though its impedance is low.
as the SR60s are a tad bright you might want to choose either a darker amp or something that might boost the bass a little.

Apr 12, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$50 or less? Pay a tiny bit more and go for something liKe the iBasso T1. Don't have one myself just yet, but a quick search will uncover some favorable reviews...

Ebay link...

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQfgtpZ...Q5fPcNQ5fQ5fSI

x2! I haven't gotten an iBasso amp yet, but it's definitely gotten very favorable reviews from just about everyone (some complain about hiss, but this could be defect or just their player??).

Personally, I just ordered a Supermicro IV because most everybody who's used one says they're the best portable amp -- period. And it's only $170 (when some amps cost $300-500, the Supermicro seems like a steal), which is only $60 more than the iBasso T2 (release coming later this month), which supposedly sounds better than their top-notch P1 and is only $40 more than the iBasso T1, and so on and so forth.

Basically, if you want something now...spend a bit more than your price range and get the T1, otherwise your only option left is the DIY path, which will take you a good bit of time, I'm sure, but will be educational nonetheless.

The thing is, if you decide to go with the T1, and you realize that portability isn't as much of a concern for you as it is for me, and you'd rather have the best sound quality for your buck, then you'll definitely want to look at an iBasso P1 or GoVibe V6.

Welcome to head-fi, and I'm sorry about your wallet.

Apr 15, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for the replies guys, looks like im going with the Go Vibe, even though the iBasso looks much cooler...guess ill have to scour the review threads. And it looks like the GoVibe ships internationally (im from the Philippines) , so its a definite plus.

Yeah, im sorry about my wallet too, but my ears are darn happy, and thats enough to keep me going!

Btw, in connecting the amp to the ipod, i need pocket docks or dock connectors and cables and such right? More wallet damage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back