Please help a first-timer make notch filters
Jun 4, 2012 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ComfyGrados

New Head-Fier
I want to make notch filters for Superlux HD681's as shown in the first post here: http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=review&action=display&thread=4769

While I've done soldering in the past, I've never read schematics before so I'm trying to teach myself using the Internet. I figured this would be a fun, cheap project to get my hands dirty with this sort of thing.

I just wanted to make sure I'm understanding the schematic there properly: What I think I need, parts-wise, looking at that schematic, is:

Each parallel filter consists of: 470uH inductor (max 2.5 Ohms), 1uF capacitor (min 16Vdc), 39 Ohm resistor
Each series filter consists of: 470uH inductor (max 2.5 Ohms), 1uF capacitor (min 16Vdc), 56 Ohm resistor

Is that correct? So all I'd need is to get those parts and some solder? Would Radio Shack have all those parts?

As for those parallel filters, I'm still not 100% sure looking at it exactly what I'm soldering to what to construct each parallel filter. Do you just solder the ends of all three parts to one another so all three are soldered together on each end? Help?

Finally, for after I do this successfully, does anyone know of a guide to making notch filters of any frequency and width? I'd like to eventually be able to make notch filters for any large peak in any headphone.

Thanks for any and all help, I just want to make sure I understand what I'm doing before I take apart anything.

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 6
I made that filter for a client, he wanted to use them inline

If its any use I have the layouts and you're welcome to them to make a simple board

cheers
FRED

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks, Fred, I think I'm going to put the filters in the headphones like in the .pdfs but I'd like to see those layouts for educational purposes, or if I change my mind and want to make them like you did. My goal out of all of this is to learn how to take the peaks out of any headphone with notch filters, whether they be in the headphone or inline.

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 6
TY Nikon. What I'm really interested in is learning how to come up with the values re: all the different parts as to what values change what frequencies and how. Is there some software that simulates this sort of thing and gives one equations for this sort of thing? I wanted to try to take the treble peak out of Sony MDR-V6's if this goes well. Can anyone help with designing a filter for that?

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
TY Nikon. What I'm really interested in is learning how to come up with the values re: all the different parts as to what values change what frequencies and how. Is there some software that simulates this sort of thing and gives one equations for this sort of thing?

The linkwitz article has some equations to follow to get values. 

Once you know roughly what values you want you can simulate the circuit in Spice to fine tune. LT Spice can be downloaded for free. There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it the software gets very powerful very quickly. 

http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back