Please, guy! What headphones to buy!
Jul 15, 2008 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Freakon

New Head-Fier
Right now I have MDR-XD200. I do not like as it is loose, tinny, and hurts. I tried my friend's bose headphones, and they were nice, but expensive. I only have 100 american dollars. Please, What headphones can I buy that sound nice, are tight, don't hurt, good quality, and are under 100 dollars? I listen to the emotional music and electronics. Thanks!

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 11
All music is emotional...

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 11
I've heard almost nothing but great things about Grado SR60s, and SR80s. If you don't like Supra-aural (on the ear) cans, then I can vouch for a set of HD280 PRO cans from Sennheiser. I've had mine for a couple years now and I love them. They go for $80 to $100, but I'll sell mine for $60 + shipping, if you're in the USA.

The only bad things I've heard about Grados is their comfort. The pads that come with them can range from awkward at first all the way to downright uncomfortable. I've also read the Grados have a very distinct soundstage, so if you can, definitely try before you buy. I haven't bought mine yet because there isn't a Grado reseller in Michigan
frown.gif
As soon as the funds are freed up, I'll be purchasing my own SR80s, and this is after several months of research?

Do you have any ideas of charactaristics you're looking for in a set of 'phones? Closed back vs open back? on the ear, vs over the ear? What exact use are you looking for and what type of music do you listen to most. For instance, My Sennheisers eat up a AA battery-powered MP3 player after about 2 days, 3 at the max.

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 11
ATH-AD700 and the sr80's seem good, I like the studio looking headphones, the seem more sturdy. Do you think the ATH-AD700 are comfy enough to warrant the price increase? I have a large head, and I like over ear because it feels like the sound is sealed in. And I listen to the emotional music, like tokio hotel, cursive, and the electronical music, like Chemical Brothers

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the HD280 is a good sounding budget closed headphone both the SR80 and the AD700's will sound better.

they'll provide more isolation
but they are too clampy for me

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by that Linux guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've also read the Grados have a very distinct soundstage, so if you can, definitely try before you buy. I haven't bought mine yet because there isn't a Grado reseller in Michigan
frown.gif

Ironically one of the biggest mail order audio companies, Audio Advisor, is in Grand Rapids & carries Grado. I'd presumed they had a storefront as they often offer discount stock which was "Demo", but their web site makes it appear they're direct mail only. Wonder if "Demo" means they took it out of the box for pics or what? Anyway, they do offer a 30 day return policy and are top notch customer service, shipping etc. and some deals can be found during their sales.

If you're close to Grand Rapids, I'd drop 'em a note to ask if you can stop by for a demo of the Grados. Worst case they just say no.
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 11
Audio Advisor is a really good company to work with...their phone support is awesome. I've ordered speaker cable, power cords, and some other stuff from them, and every time they've been great. Don't know about a store or not, but their address is :
Audio Advisor, Inc.
3427 Kraft Ave. S.E.
Grand Rapids, MI 49512

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #11 of 11
Wow, awesome find DaMavs
smily_headphones1.gif
I googled all morning (that sounds dirty...) looking for a local Grado dealer or reseller, or some store with Grado headphones. I'm actually in Flint, Michigan, and Grand Rapids is at least 2 hours away. I'll be trecking out to Kalamazoo this weekend, so I'll make some calls to K-zoo stereo shops
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the info though, it's definitely appreciated. I tried out my HD-280s twice before buying them, And the Bose TriPorts several times (Briefly, they sound good at the demo station, but once I got them home, they're definitely not good for anything besides hip-hop, or something with mostly purcussion, and I'm a rocker (hence my deep interest in Grados)). I just can't bring myself to drop $100 - $150 for a pair of cans I may not even like. Again, thanks, and I'll be calling them soon.

To the OP, I'm sure you can get some very nice cans from AT and Grados, but I can speak first-hand for the HD 280 PROs. They're nice, particularly if you want closed diaphragm, circum-aural. The higher Ohm rating isn't good for smaller mp3 players, but they're perfectly fine for hooking up to the stereo, or to the PC/Mac. I use mine at my PC every day, hooked up to a Creative Labs Audigy SE sound card, and the sound isn't half bad. As a former X-Fi owner, I know that there is better sound to be had, and I've tried other Senns from the HD-5xx series that sounded better, but not without a price hike. If you can, try the Grados, but if closed cap is an absolute must, It's between Sennheiser and Audio Technica.

And don't be afraid to spend a bit for something nicer. Yeah, for some, there can be miniscule difference in sonic quality for an extra $200 (My girlfriend thinks her $10 "Gummy" IEMs sound as good as my HD-280s). As much as I love my Sennheisers, I do wish I would've got something a bit better. I mean, an extra $40 or $50 can definitely get you a major step up. Money comes and goes, and good cans last for a long time. Think of it as a long-term investment on relaxation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back