Please forgive my stupidity but....
Sep 7, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #16 of 23
well, it all depends on the "packaging" of the material, the interaction of its intermolecular bonds and how the energy around them affect it,

but basicly freezing is more of a observation term and applied mostly to materials which are liquids in room temperature, it would be more scientificly correct to say it solidified, as the lowest energy status is usualy solid,
but then you have funky materials like helium, which only becomes liquid at absolute 1 (-272 degrees C), those are superfluids, which dont become solids, but are kind of fluids with some gas properties (you should see liquid helium climb out of a container, quite a show),

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well no, i meant everything that is solid.

Like my...wallet, my ring, my phone, all that stuff.

Use only these words to describe the physical state of matters:

Solid <-> Liquid <-> Gas

Using words like frozen, molten, vapourised, etc is subjective and only results in the first post above.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget the 4th state of matter, plasma!

Or the 5th, the Bose-Einstein Condensate!

Oh yes. Bose is a fundamental physical state.
orphsmile.gif

(Theres also the Fermionic condensate, the LC, the almost theoretical Quark/Gluon plasma matter and the aptly named Strange Matter, which you get when Quarks get drunk.)

Theres also Superfluids and Supersolids, which like the LC, straddle a properties boundary between more common states.

Sep 7, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #19 of 23
Now now, let's not forget the weirdest of them all, Dark Matter. Now that stuff is truly strange, with almost no concrete knowledge about it out there.

Aditya

Sep 7, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget the 4th state of matter, plasma!

There are many more states of matter than just liquid, gas, solid and plasma. Those are just the general basics. Also, Advil, not all compounds CAN be a liquid. It's safe to say that anything that is a gas or liquid has the potential to be solid, gas or liquid, plasma, etc.. but many solid compounds are not capable of being a liquid or gas and will just burn if you heat them up. Like your leather wallet for example.

Our bodys are made up of compounds and many of the compounds are comprised of elements that are able to be something other than solid, just not when they are a part of the compound. There are also strange elements like supersolids/fluids, but these are generally not the norm and require extreme pressure and/or temperature.

Sep 9, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer to see it as the glass half evaporated.
tongue.gif

-Ed

How does it hold any water?

GAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back