please forgive ANOTHER AV-710 question, but all the setup guides have confused me
Nov 3, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by zaqintosh
You see! this is my point!

Nobody can agree on anything when it comes to what is what with the AV-710 <sigh>

I've even read the year long thread regarding the last install guide.. and it really didn't concretely explain when the wolfsen dac is being used. Nor did it even explain the line-out versus amped out jumpers.

The Wolfson DAC is used all the time on the 7&8 outputs, not only when you select "High sample rate". The explanation is simple: Via's AC97 codec can handle only up to 6 channels (5+sub), so another DAC is added to accommodate the remaining two channels (so you can have 7.1 audio).

Wolfson DAC nativly supports sample rates from 32Khz to 192Khz (alldough there is a bug in the drivers resulting files with samplerate 32Khz and below play at slower speed).

I use the following settings:

1.Card set to 2 channel mode
2.SPDIF set to on and PCM only
3.Samplerate set to auto

I use the card on Win98SE with winamp's asio output - via ASIO for ALL (foobar needs an 16-32bit conversion to work with ASIO for All, so I don't use it in this configuration). I also set my win sound sheme to "no sounds".

If you don't want to bother with Asio and kernel streaming sound interruptions, you can use the waveout (for me there isn't a significant difference between the two, but it eases my mind to know that the signal isn't tampered with
biggrin.gif
)

About the line out and amped out, it's only for the front channel jack, wich you won't be using, 7,8 output hasn't any...

If you swich the amp on, front out can drive your headphones...

Hope this helps,

Cheers...

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tofu
if you have a hard time telling the difference between a 320kbit mp3 and the same song in a lossless format, you are indeed deaf or have sub-par equipment.

either that, or you're simply in denial.

320k is next to indistinguishable against lossless. I suppose your definition of "deaf" is not having bat-like ears?

We already have a 320k vs lossless thread somewhere in the headphones forum, do your "I can easily distinguish 320k and lossless" thing over there, please.

Nov 3, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tofu
if you have a hard time telling the difference between a 320kbit mp3 and the same song in a lossless format, you are indeed deaf or have sub-par equipment.

either that, or you're simply in denial.

You better thank god this place isn't Hydrogen Audio. I demand you provide ABX results of your OUTRAGEOUS claim or simply admit that YOU BELIEVE that there is a massive difference between the two. 320kbit MP3, to my ears (and there are numerous ABX tests on HA to support my claim by other people as well), is indistinguishable from lossless.

Maybe you are in denial of your audiofilia*.

* audiofilia, n
--The need to project one's audio opinions on another as fact, usually based on one's vastly superior equipment and golden ears.

Nov 3, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by KyPeN
You better thank god this place isn't Hydrogen Audio. I demand you provide ABX results of your OUTRAGEOUS claim or simply admit that YOU BELIEVE that there is a massive difference between the two. 320kbit MP3, to my ears (and there are numerous ABX tests on HA to support my claim by other people as well), is indistinguishable from lossless.

Maybe you are in denial of your audiofilia*.

* audiofilia, n
--The need to project one's audio opinions on another as fact, usually based on one's vastly superior equipment and golden ears.

how the hell do i post ABX results of this kind of claim? if you're looking for graphs, they're all over the place showing the difference, but i prefer to go with what my ears tell me. why would i even bring the damn thing up if there wasn't a difference between the two? i think it has more to do with the fact that most of you are still acquiring your media illegally and have no means of downloading their lossless versions. you're in a simple state of denial.

it's funny, most of the people on HA also believe upsampling does nothing, but look at all the people here who think otherwise.

after reviewing the equipment you have, i can fully understand why you still think mp3's are the be all and end all of high quality audio. don't waste my time, and don't pull that audiophile bs on me.

Nov 3, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
320k is next to indistinguishable against lossless. I suppose your definition of "deaf" is not having bat-like ears?

We already have a 320k vs lossless thread somewhere in the headphones forum, do your "I can easily distinguish 320k and lossless" thing over there, please.

whether the difference is subtle or not is subjective. i will give you that one.

but the point is the difference is there. people here are blatantly denying the truth.

i'm sorry, but the handful of people i've introduced to lossless audio have not turned back, and feel the same way i do... yea, even the ones with lacking disk space.

Nov 3, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #21 of 22
Man are we off topic.

Question on topic. Would the AV-710 be a worthwhile upgrade from mt SB Extigy even though I use iTunes and not foobar? If not, what would be a reasonably priced alternative. I figure I could sell my extigy for about $40 for a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back