Please dont laugh, im new
Dec 1, 2003 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sync

100+ Head-Fier
Alright ive got the tools and ive ordered the parts for everything i need to make my first cmoy (With tangents help of course) . There is just a few basic electrical/DIY questions I need to have answered.

1)When installing the jumpers and things on my board, I need to solder them to the other side of the board correct?

2)What in the world do resistors do? Ive read a bunch about electrical circuits and other things but...well I still have no idea.

3)What in the world do capicitors do?

Sorry to waste all your guys time but...hey I need help.

Dec 1, 2003 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 6
you sound just like me 8 months ago. if you search for my name and thread titles in DIY you will see a lot about the CMOY.

to answer your questions

1.solder them to side that has the copper on it, solder wont stick to anything but metal, it is really a cool substance.

2. Resistors, resist
wink.gif
they limit the amount of voltage, say from 18V down to 4V. if you search thru Tangents help pages you will see the formulas to figure that stuff out. Look especially at the LED resistor picking portion under the MINT docs.

3. capacitors are like short term batteries. I don't know how they work, but as long as power is supplied to them they will store extra power as long power is supplied to them.
example: A camera with a flash has that high pitch noise for a few seconds is a capacitor powering up so the flash will work. Your capacitors wont do this, but that is what they do.

Dec 2, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 6
Im a visual person, not a math person. I liked crayons and paint and glue (not just to eat) when I was little. For me getting over the hump of understanding electronics was all about understanding exactly how and why each part worked the way it did. I was excstatic when I found this. http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/...o/electron.htm

it really cleared a lot of things up for me. Highly recommended!

Milo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back