Please critique my Senn. HD 650 setup... what do you think?
Jan 19, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Mosh with Josh

If I wanted to get a different pair of headphones to run in the second output jack, what would you recommend... (other than another pair of 650's)...

Nice system! The headphones are so good, that I think the next upgrade move would have to be the source.

Why get another pair of headphones unless they sound really different (unless you have a listening companion)? That would mean Grado, I think.

Jan 19, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #17 of 34
Pretyy impressive system, nothing "wrong" with it at all. Maybe you could look at a new amp, but the one you have is pretty good. Maybe you could experiment with a tube amp?
confused.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #20 of 34
One more lemming joining in, your system looks pretty good to me excepting the Cardas cable...

Jan 19, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
One more lemming joining in, your system looks pretty good to me excepting the Cardas cable...

Good resale value though.
cool.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #22 of 34
i run mine with a HR Cosmic. the Home and the Cosmic have the similar Headroom house sound. i know this doesn't directly answer your question, but at the very least, i can shed some light on the higher end Headroom amps in general. my Cosmic really does a lot to help add to the already warm presentation. it also gives the bass on other equally priced amps a run for their money, IMO. i think if you changed amps, in roughly the same price range, you will not hear better sound, but a different sound.
put up one more vote for the Zu Mobius cable being your next best upgrade. they really do make the difference!

i also don't believe you've received the standard greeting around here...
we're all deeply sorry about your wallet...
and all it has had to endure throughout the building of your system
biggrin.gif

if you've already been greeted, then you probably already realize your wallet is sad.

Jan 19, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #23 of 34
I know with the Headroom Max the crossfeed would kind of bloat the bass and push the mids back somewhat. That being said. When I had a meet back in October I had the pleasure of hanging on to a Max for a while. The Max and the HD650 sound magical. I think it was better than the HR-2 I am running now.
cool.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #24 of 34
I think you have a very good, solid system. If it were me, I would upgrade the amp. Personally, I'm not too fond of headroom amps. They sound a bit dry and lifeless to me. If you have the money, get the Cary 300SEI integrated amp. It's a lot of money, but you have a very good system that would benefit from that upgrade. Otherwise, I wouldn't even touch it because you would only make incremental improvements that wouldn't justify the expenditure.

Jan 19, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #25 of 34
Mosh the Josh,

The first rule of headphones is that you can't go wrong upgrading the source. It will generally have some very big affects on the sound at the headphone end.

In your system I would also say to look at replacing the amp. While the HR Home is a great amp, the Senns will benefit from an upgrade there too. A Max or something to retain the same house sound will be a large upgrade from what I have read around here. Or, to save a little money a Maxed Out Home will also be a step up.

The other answer is to be happy with what you have if you already enjoy it that much. Hanging around here will only give you a case of upgraditus and cost you a pile more money to keep up with the Jones'.

Jan 19, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #26 of 34
"upgraditus" haha!
biggrin.gif

I believe that I've caught this bug at several points in my life in reference to several different hoppies...

ugh...

___

I appreciate everything that you all have said.
Now, I gotta get away from this computer and continue listening.

___

Instead of upgrading the headphone cable first, I think that I'm going to invest in really nice chair.

With the HD650's, so far my butt has reached the fatigue stage before my ears at every listening session...

ha!
600smile.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #27 of 34
Wise !

Jan 19, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #28 of 34
Good choice! Stick to it! Enjoy your system!

Jan 20, 2004 at 5:13 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
The Max and the HD650 sound magical. I think it was better than the HR-2 I am running now.
cool.gif

Also has great synergy with the Prehead. Now I just need a Zu. Now I finally feel like I have a setup I can get cozy with for awhile. So many seem to prefer the Zu over the Cardas for the 650 it's definitely worth a try.

Jan 21, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #30 of 34
i think that I had my first transcendental moment last night...

listening to Bruckner...

That's my first review of this setup.

Wow!
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back