Please confirm this is accurate re Digital Files
Dec 3, 2015 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

12many

100+ Head-Fier
If someone could confirm my research I would be very thankful.   A simple Yes/No is good. 

1.  CD Music is typically sampled at 44 kHz  (44,000 times per second a sample of the audio waveform is taken)  and 16 bits are used to represent the volume at the time of sampling.  16 bits translates to about 65,536 different possible volume levels. 

2.  iTunes 256 kbps is compressed to be at below CD quality. 

3.   Digital files from Songs can be burned from CDs to match true CD quality (FLAC and Apple Lossless (ALAC)), thus better than ITunes 256 kbps. 

3a.  For my CD collection I can not get better then FLAC or Apple Lossless ( 44/16), which is CD quality when burned from a CD. 

4.  I can not get 96/24 quality from a CD. 

5.   To go above CD sound such as 96/24 I would have to find a web site from which I can download the high res music. 

6.   I don't know where DSD - Direct Stream Digital format fits into all this. 

Thanks. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 6

1.  CD Music is typically sampled at 44 kHz  (44,000 times per second a sample of the audio waveform is taken)  and 16 bits are used to represent the volume at the time of sampling.  16 bits translates to about 65,536 different possible volume levels. 

44.1, so 44,100.

2.  iTunes 256 kbps is compressed to be at below CD quality.

Testing shows that listeners probably can't tell a difference though.

3.   Digital files from Songs can be burned from CDs to match true CD quality (FLAC and Apple Lossless (ALAC)), thus better than ITunes 256 kbps. 

Ripped* from CDs, again, FLAC/ALAC may not actually be discernably better than iTunes' format.

3a.  For my CD collection I can not get better then FLAC or Apple Lossless ( 44/16), which is CD quality when burned from a CD. 

4.  I can not get 96/24 quality from a CD. 

5.   To go above CD sound such as 96/24 I would have to find a web site from which I can download the high res music. 

There are some hi-res CDs I think.

6.   I don't know where DSD - Direct Stream Digital format fits into all this. 

Thanks. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #5 of 6
As you develop further in listening to music, better equipment, etc., you will definitely be able to tell the difference between FLAC and compressed mp3.  The only other consideration is storage, which is no issue these days - at least with desktop equipment.  It's simple enough to convert for portable equipment - or just download your most-used FLAC, regardless.  You will always have full-quality CD Redbook in your FLAC files for reference.  FLAC allows seamless, non-compressed, error-free conversion back and forth to CD Redbook at a moment's notice.

Meanwhile, you have at least compressed everything you can - without a loss - using FLAC.  How does FLAC compress without a loss?  Imagine a printed page: then imagine taking out all the white space.  Nothing has been lost, but it's a lot smaller.  That's FLAC.

Hi-res CD's are DVD's. 
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 6
  As you develop further in listening to music, better equipment, etc., you will definitely be able to tell the difference between FLAC and compressed mp3.  The only other consideration is storage, which is no issue these days - at least with desktop equipment.  It's simple enough to convert for portable equipment - or just download your most-used FLAC, regardless.  You will always have full-quality CD Redbook in your FLAC files for reference.  FLAC allows seamless, non-compressed, error-free conversion back and forth to CD Redbook at a moment's notice.

Meanwhile, you have at least compressed everything you can - without a loss - using FLAC.  How does FLAC compress without a loss?  Imagine a printed page: then imagine taking out all the white space.  Nothing has been lost, but it's a lot smaller.  That's FLAC.

Hi-res CD's are DVD's. 
wink.gif

256kbps AAC and 320 kbps MP3 I don't think have even been proven to be not as transparent as FLAC... am I missing something?

My whole collection is FLAC when I can... storage is cheap these days!!!

And doh! DVDs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back