Please Compare ER4S to Stax SRM-001 Mk11
Jun 29, 2002 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ken

100+ Head-Fier
the stax have come down a long way in price.
Can some one who has listened to both the stax and the er4s or p give us a run down on the sound comparison.

Jun 29, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 10
I have both the Stax and the Ety 4s. The Stax "earspeakers" roll off the high end a bit, have a liquid midrange, and a somewhat boosted low end. They've grown on me a bit, partially because I now use them with a Marantz CD67-SE than a PCDP because: (1) the Marantz is a bit bright, which compensates for the Stax top end roll-off; (2) the PCDPs that I've tried with the Stax do not seem to power them sufficiently--using them, I've had to turn the Stax volume dial to between 12-2 o'clock to get a decent (not loud) volume. This is not a problem with the Marantz.

The Ety 4s headphones, on the other hand, are in a class by themselves. They let you hear what is on the recording, nothing more, nothing less. I used them at the Headroom WOH NY show to demo the various amps and they really let the differences between the amps shine through. The only time that I prefer the Stax earspeakers is when I don't want total isolation.

Jun 29, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 10
I have all three (ER4S, ER4P, and the Stax SRM-001).......Hey, I'm not the "Keeper of the 'Phones" for nothing!
tongue.gif

My impressions of the three are as follows:
In comparison to the Etys (both S and P versions), the Stax has bass that can be felt. It is not all that deep, but it is well-controlled, and provides just enough "thump" for my tastes. As has been posted numerous times, the Ety bass is heard, not felt.
The midrange is wonderfully transparent on both the Etys and the Stax, but I feel the nod goes to the Stax. Cymbals, acoustic guitars and horns are reproduced with uncanny realism.
The main drawback to the Stax is it's rolled off high end. I suspect this may be a fault of the amp that is supplied with it, but since the plug is a dedicated one, I have no way of testing this theory. In comparison, the Etys have a very extended high end......with the 4S being a bit smoother and more refined than the 4P, IMHO.
As for comfort, I prefer the Stax, once I adjusted the headband to provide very light pressure. They don't go into the ear canal, as the Etys do. Rather they rest at the entrance to the canal. However, there is virtually no isolation from external sounds. In this respect, the Etys are far superior, if isolation is important to you.
To sum up, the Stax are exciting headphones with a nice bass and fantastic midrange. Because of their rolled off top end, they can actually make older recordings (ie. Billie Holiday) sound wonderful. The Etys are more neutral sounding, with a more balanced presentation. Hope this helps.
I'm sure JMT can also offer his impressions if he so chooses.........but we don't want to take him away from his amp building now, do we?
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
Because of their rolled off top end, they can actually make older recordings (ie. Billie Holiday) sound wonderful.

I didn't think that there was any equipment out there that could make Billie Holiday sound bad
biggrin.gif

In any case, you can't go wrong with either phone.

Jun 29, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ

I didn't think that there was any equipment out there that could make Billie Holiday sound bad
biggrin.gif

There isn't.........the Stax just make her sound better!
Billie is THE standard by which all others are measured...........and they all fall short. (IMHO)
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2002 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

There isn't.........the Stax just make her sound better!
Billie is THE standard by which all others are measured...........and they all fall short. (IMHO)
biggrin.gif

Except for Pops. Agree about everyone else.

Keeping to the thread, the new Pops' reissued Sony SACDs do sound wonderful through the Stax SRM-001s.

Jun 29, 2002 at 6:13 AM Post #10 of 10
I much prefer the Etys over the Stax. There is something about that experience that I never tire of. However, the Stax and acoustic guitars, female vocals, and trumpet/french horns is something to write home about.

The high end roll-off though prevents me from calling the Stax equal to the Etys. I didn't think it would bother me because of the mids, but I miss the overall balance that I hear with the Etys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back