Please choose a headphones for me
Sep 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shingo

New Head-Fier
I'm not very knowledgable concerning headphones so if some could recommend one based on my requirement it would be greatly appreciated.

My current headphones that I leave at work are sony mdr-7506, I paid 55$ for the, 2 years ago. They are not that bad.

Now i want a set at home mainly to listen to the ipod when the wiffe is watching cooking show or in the bed when i want to watch tv while the wife is sleeping.

So they must not need an amplification, provide good insulation and they must not leak sound.

I want to listen mostly classical and instrumental music.

My budget is around 150$ but if I can get something real good for cheaper it's even better.

Thank you

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 7
JVC HA-S500 folding headphones, sells for less then $60.

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 7
I think these are the ones I heard from the ipod at my last meet. They are certainly a sonic value and perfect for casual or critical listening. They sure make the quality ratio to hi fi cost look nuts.

Does the type of design make any difference? Over ear vs in ear?

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I think these are the ones I heard from the ipod at my last meet. They are certainly a sonic value and perfect for casual or critical listening. They sure make the quality ratio to hi fi cost look nuts.

Does the type of design make any difference? Over ear vs in ear?

Over the ear imo will sound better at the same price range. The sound stage is larger, and everything sounds more natural.

In ear monitors (IEM's) are usually more in your face/intimate than over the ear headphones.

For $89 brand new, and around $60 used, the Shure SRH440's are a steal (especially in their used pricing). I own these headphones, and they are great.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002DP1FTU/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

For around $150 used, the Shure SRH840 are a good deal used as well.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002DP8IEK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 7
Well thanks for the advice, I decided to save a little by buying used.

Bought a shure srh 840 for 100$ and a fiio E10 amp/dac for 50$

all in all it cost me 150$ and it sound really really good for the price.

Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back