Please build me a speaker switch
Apr 14, 2011 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TruBrew

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am not too handy, but am in a situation where I need a product that does not exist. I don't think it would be hard at all to make, but don't think I could do it myself. 

What I need is similar to a speaker switch. The only thing is I do not need to switch between speaker, only turn them off. I am running an Onkyo 708 for my 5.1 system. I am also about to receiver a Smyth Realiser A8, for headphone surround sound. The Realiser uses the pre outs on my receiver. The Speakers are connected directly to the receiver speaker terminals. As it stands now, when using the headphones, audio would also come out of the speakers unless I unplug them. I am looking for a box that has 5 speaker inputs and 5 speaker outputs. I am looking for something simple to use. So one switch on the front that disconnects all 5 pairs. for that matter if it could have 5 speaker in/out, and one coax in/out for the sub it would be even better. 

I am not looking to pay a ton for this, but I figure it will be cheaper than buying a second receiver/prepro or buying a 5 channel amp, which would both also fix the problem. If someone could please help me out on this I would be grateful.

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 10
I can make something like this for you. Give me a bit to make a schematic and I'll tell you what parts you need.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks a bunch. I have found another solution that would work, but it still seems less than Ideal. I could by two Russound AB-2.2. But that would be expensive, and then I would need to flip two switches, plus physically unplug my sub. While that would not be the end of the world, I know there must be a better solution. I look forward to hearing what you can do.

I don't know the price difference between  binding posts, and those clip style things designed for bare cable. If it is not astronomical, or does not require a significant amount more work on your end, I would prefer the binding posts, I find them a bit easier to work with.

May 16, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 10
So it looks like things fell through, so I am on the hunt for someone new to help me. There may be a few people interested in the same device as myself. So I am looking for someone who is willing to possibly build a few. Please contact me with any ideas you have or asking for any information you need. I really appreciate whoever is able to come through on this, it will be a big help.

May 27, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 10
So you just want to turn off your speakers, while keeping the pre-amp out working?

What happens when you plug a pair of headphones into the amp?  Does the pre-amp out keep working?  You could just use a 1/4" plug and plug it into your amp to turn off the headphone.

May 27, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 10
That was a good idea, so I just tried it. Unfortunately it does not work. when headphones are plugged in it cuts both the speaker out, and the pre outs. So to the first question, yes. I need a switch that cuts the signal to the speakers and lets the pre outs continue to work. I am looking for a box with 5 speaker inputs and outputs, and 1 rca input/output. That way then I flip a switch it will open the circuit and disconnect all of my speakers, and the sub. That way the preouts, running to my headphones work, but I don't have the speakers running also.

The unit does not have any preout type of mode that I know of. most people don't use both the internal amps, and also the preouts. 

May 28, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 10
All you need is a small Hammond enclosure, a rotary switch (with a knob) and some RCAs or XLRs. nothing to it, no schematic needed. You are just cutting (opening) the speaker connections.

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 10
If there is one, please let me know how.

Quote:
This has me so confused.Does the Onkyo receiver not have a switch for turning off the speakers? Most other receivers do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back