Please assist me on my quest - HD 660s / ATH-AD900X / SRH 1540
Jun 27, 2021 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sheza

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I got a promotion at work, so I wanted to treat myself to some new headphones. I have a pair of 4-year-old Bose QC 35 which handle commuting/office noise cancellation pretty well, but I get headaches with extended listening at home, I think primarily because of the NC pressure (turn off the NC, get worse sound quality lol).

As an Apple user I sprung for the APM initially. Excellent sound (and sound which changed very little between ANC/Nothing/Transparency modes) but very heavy and the cut-out for the on-ear sensor left a sore imprint on my ear. Just couldn't get comfy with them.

As a financial masochist I then sprung for the B&O H95. Also excellent sound - especially with 'punchy' bass like drums etc. But the bass dropped off significantly with ANC off, and ultimately they are uncomfortable on the ears and the headband.

So now I'm like, what do I do? Are there no comfortable headphones out there which sound good? Well - I spend hours a day gaming on Logitech G773, which are kind of garbage sound quality for music. But they have that elasticated ski-fit headband which is supremely comfortable. The ear cups are okay, large and plush but my ears still touch the drivers.

Anyway I digress - please recommend me some headphones. They don't need to be wireless or have NC - I'm probably going to keep using the Bose for that. What I need to prioritise are sound quality and comfort. I'll work out the rest (amps and all that) later.

I already spent £700 on the H95s (which are going back) so let's make that my price limit.

I did a bit of research and figured my sensitive ears would appreciate headphones on the light side, weight-wise. So I think I have narrowed it down to:
  • Sennheiser HD 660s
  • AudioTechnica ATH-AD900X
  • Shure SRH 1540
I've never had open-backs before but they look kinda cool. And the Shure have endless reviews talking about comfort. But I am open to being convinced on any other model - just so long as they are genuinely comfortable, sound better than you'd get from consumer cans (Bose/Sony) and bonus points for something that can make bass actually feel punchy like I get with the H95.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 3
You should check out the ATH-R70X instead of the 900X. Similar build, but the R70X are probably going to have the sound you’re looking for, neutral but with strong bass. Only problem is you probably need an amp to drive them, but I imagine you would for the 660S as well. I can wear the R70X all day without issue, even with thick plastic glasses on, and they’re good for gaming as well.

Jun 27, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 3
If you want an open-back, look at the Philips Fidelio X2HR and consider getting a shorter cable than what is already included:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasi...&qid=1624812855&sprefix=3.5mm+to+3.5+&sr=8-17

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-X2...24812743&s=electronics&search-type=ss&sr=1-17

If you want a closed-back, then look at the Meze Classics 99:

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/meze-99-classics-walnut-and-silver.html

With your budget, you can get both and leave the X2HR at home and have the Classics 99 on the road, but it is up to you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back