Please advise: What DAP to get for ~$500
Jul 19, 2019 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sebasistan

100+ Head-Fier
So apparently THIS is where a thread like this belongs, so my apologies for crossposting this. ANYWAYS...

I'm looking for a new DAP now, and there are a lot of them out there at this prince point, and well, I don't quite know where to go.

Back in the good old days I started out with an iAudio X5 (rest in peace you magnificent machine), then made the mistake of getting an iPod Classic due to its then humungous HDD, and after that just switched to smart phones (well, "smart" the Nokia XPress Music was not, but it sounded pretty nice for a phone). And now when phones started ditching the 3.5mm jack, I went back into the wild world of DAPs and got myself a Plenue D a few years ago. Which is a great little device, sound is awesome for the price point. But its storage capacity is rather limited, and it's pretty bare bones as far as features go.

So what am I looking for?
- Sound that is at least as good as the Plenue D (shouldn't be an issue with those higher priced ones, right?)
- Storage. Lots of storage. There are a couple players out now that allow for up to 2TB of storage. 1TB would be sufficient right now, but at least the CAPACITY for more is always nice.
- Decent UI. This is where the Plenue D is kinda meh. Navigating by folders is nice, I am used to that, but the way it groups things along tags is a bit lackluster. Also a well responsive UI would be neat.
- Bluetooth. I know I said I stopped using phones for audio when they basically started forcing Bluetooth, but - I listen to my music at home on bluetooth speakers, and having a player I can just hook up like that would be pretty nice. Especially if it can hold ALL of my music.
- The ability to delete files from the player directly / wihtout hooking it up to a computer.
- The ability to create / import playlists easily. I love my playlists. But somehow it's always been a pain to import them well into whatever player or phone I had.

So far I'm looking at:
Onkyo DPX-1A (is that one no longer manufactured or just out of stock?)
FiiO M11
Shanling M5S
Opus #? - not quite sure which one of those is a) available (can't seem to find the #3 outside of a used one on Amazon) and b) the current best.

Currently strongly leaning towards the FiiO M11.

These are the ones I found at a glance that look good to me, but I don't know bupkis about the current market, so feel free to throw any and all recommendations at me.

So, any of you fine folks able to tell me about a player which fits my above mentioned criteria the best AND which one is least likely to give me issues like melting batteries and unexpceted crashs and whatnot (those Amazon reviews make me wary, plus my first Plenue D bricked out on me two months in...)? Much appreciated.

Jul 19, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 3
HiBy R6 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back