Please Advise in selecting ~$300 Set
Jun 23, 2009 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MattHills

New Head-Fier
I really hate to make another one of these threads, but there are just way to many different answers coming all around.

Currently I have a pair of Bose Tri-ports (I know, I bought them when I believed my dad when he said Bose were the best in audio [I was 15]) and a pair of V-moda Vibes. At least I only paid $70 for the Tri-ports.

I am looking to get something good, obviously, and have been doing a bit of research. Wouldn't mind buying used.

I love classic rock, and mainly listen to that, and because of all the glowing things I have heard about Grados I am currently swayed towards SR-225s or even possibly MS2i. I was also suggested to look at Senn HD650s, and Ultrasone Pro 900 but I have yet to find the Ultrasones within my price range.

I am also planning on purchasing an DAC amp to skip my crappy onboard video card that I currently use, and as I understand each pair of headphones have certain amps that work best.

I am almost completely swayed to wards the SR225 or MS2i, can anyone tell me the difference and what the MS2i's are based off? Also what amp would be a good choice with these two?

Sorry that I am another noobie jumping in and asking for advice, I just really really want to make sure before I drop my money down.

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 2
the MS2i is based on the SR325i and is said to be a bit more neutral.

Based on experience with the 325i, it can be a bit bright (not too bright for me), and FWIR preference between sr225/325i is mainly personal.
Grado is pretty easy on the amp part, though you might want to look for something smooth/relaxed, maybe tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back