Please advice for choosing my first amp
Apr 2, 2009 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

LEEMAGOCHI

New Head-Fier
I m new here and have been learning from the posts here. After getting the Shure 530, I realize that my iPod 4G alone cannot deliver the SQ I want from the headphone. After researching through lots of posts, I have narrow down my selection to 3 amp:
1. Meier Corda 3Move
2. iBasso D10
3. RSA P-51 Mustang
Since I'd use my laptop as source occasionally, the DAC function of the 3Move and D10 would be very convenient. P-51 seems to get most praise on its SQ, but it's a bit too expensive for my budget and it doesn't have DAC. So, I wonder if it worth the extra bucks to go for the P-51 Mustang. Also, if choosing between the 3Move and D10, which one offer better SQ and DAC quality?

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 24
having a D10 myself I highly recommend both its DAC and amp sections. it uses the same dac chip as the venerable pico, but it add what I consider to be superior input options of optical and coax; USB audio will almost always be limited by the bounds of the USB standard. in fact using the D10 via optical and USB are 2 different animals. dont get me wrong, the D10 via USB is no slouch either, but via optical and coax it wins out in almost all areas. the 3MOVE offers none of this flexibility, the D10 also adds opamp rolling; so you can tailor the sound of the amp section to your liking with that. I actually use the SE530 too sometimes and I can tell you is sounds great with D10, the W3 has even better synergy though. also if you can get a hold of a used iriver H120 or H140 you can sample the wonders of PCM digital audio on the move. only thing is the D10 has less output power than the 3MOVE, so if you are using some really hard to drive fullsize cans, perhaps its better to go 3MOVE. I havent heard the 3MOVE; only the 2MOVE and from memory (which is always a little suspect LOL) I can say the D10 amp section sounds better too, with an airier soundstage and slightly better separation. bass slam is awesome on this little beast. IMO the D10 actually offers some of the best value in audio at the moment full stop whether it be portable or home gear. using D10 via as dac only via line-out/aux (another feature the 3MOVE lacks) feeding my Lisa III i'm in absolute transportable heaven.

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 24
i know it's not on your list, but how about the Nuforce Icon Mobile? it is pretty inexpensive and people on the forum seem to enjoy it. it has DAC capabilities too, and unlike the iBasso which is currently out of stock, it is available.

give the forum a search
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know it's not on your list, but how about the Nuforce Icon Mobile? it is pretty inexpensive and people on the forum seem to enjoy it. it has DAC capabilities too, and unlike the iBasso which is currently out of stock, it is available.

give the forum a search
smily_headphones1.gif

D10 is not 'out of stock' they just havent updated their website since before their break. I ordered last week on thursday night AEST and had my D10 on Tuesday in australia. it has been saying 'out of stock' since months ago apparently and if you read the D10 thread at, you will see that people have been ordering and receiving their amps within days every time.

so dont let that stop you
icon10.gif

also, I could be wrong, but I think it more likely that the nuforce icon mobile is an ibasso product being rebranded as nuforce; as ibasso seem to make everything on their site

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry if this is a threadjack, but are USB only amps worth it over optical out amps for PC uses?

as I said, IMO USB ALWAYS sounds inferior to optical or coax SPDIF on the same quality gear. so no I would say if you have the choice to go optical or coax digital, to go that way.

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D10 is not 'out of stock' they just havent updated their website since before their break. I ordered last week on thursday night AEST and had my D10 on Tuesday in australia. it has been saying 'out of stock' since months ago apparently and if you read the D10 thread at, you will see that people have been ordering and receiving their amps within days every time.

so dont let that stop you
icon10.gif

also, I could be wrong, but I think it more likely that the nuforce icon mobile is an ibasso product being rebranded as nuforce; as ibasso seem to make everything on their site

from what head-fiers have discussed they do sound different tho. check out this thread.

LEEMAGOCHI, what's your budget?

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from what head-fiers have discussed they do sound different tho. check out this thread.

LEEMAGOCHI, what's your budget?

sound different...to what?? the ibasso house sound??

I would think the mustang might be at the top of his range at least. but yeah OP, that would help us to enable you to ruin your wallet if we knew exactly how far you were willing to go, so we could recommend something just above that budget
tongue.gif
evil_smiley.gif
too true though

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 24
I reccommend the 3Move or one of the HeadRoom Amps; I'm assuming you've already done most of your homework, and I've been curious about the 3Move myself.

My (deceased) Cosmic Traveler (Class A w/ all upgrades) was an $899.00 USD wonder... it really was ahead of its time...
wink.gif

That said, I have since experienced slightly more modern crossfeeds in the HeadRoom lineup, the Micro Amp & Micro DAC combo, and they sound great!

For portable juice, the 3Move looks really good on paper, and I would love some more input from a 3Move user, especially someone who drives IEMs and sources it with COWON PMPs...

I've been reading the best stuff about Meier Audio, and I, Personally, would Really have a Hard Time without the comforts of a Crossfeed channel. You'll thank yourself when your headSpace goes _wow_!

Best!

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #13 of 24
Thanks for all of your advice.

My budget is around $300, and I m willing to go as far as $400 only if its SQ can beat all the cheaper ones clean.

Though Nuforce Icon Mobile is cheap, but I heard that it doesn't provide bass quality as well as those on my list. Since I mostly listen to Rock, I'd prefer one with that provide good bass quality and quantity. Mid range is important to me as well, as I also listen to Female Voice Jazz.

And thanks for letting me know that D10 is not out of stock, coz that really put a stop sign for me b4. I m putting the D10 back to the top of my list for now. If other bros have any other suggestion, please comment.

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #14 of 24
My vote would probably be for the 3move . . . I'd also consider a Mini^3 though as the active ground channel really helps IMO. It has really good sound quality for the cost and would leave you enough to buy a DAC or buy a better sound card for your laptop.

Just my two cents though. Good luck
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #15 of 24
if your are willing to go $400 then go $475 and buy the Predator and be done with it. awesome amp, awesome dac, awesome sound, will power most headphones you would want to buy, good resale value if you don't like it, and if you don't break it, will probably never need another headphone amp/dac for the rest of your life.

Emmeline "The Predator" Portable USB DAC/Amp - Ray Samuels Audio

oh, and sorry about your wallet! welcome to head-fi.org
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back