Pleae help me pick a USB DAC (3 choices)
Mar 5, 2008 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ubermang

New Head-Fier
I've done some readings and researches, and narrowed my choices to the following 3 DACs.
1. KECES DA-151 has Burrbrown PCM2702 $250
2. DIYEDEN - SVDAC05 has Cirrus Logic
CS4398 $249
3. Musiland MD-10 Cirrus CS4398 $299
As far as I know, the shipping charges are similar.

I do not know which chip is better. Burrbrown PCM2702 or Cirrus CS4398. I
've read lots of good things about DA-151 but there aren't too many reviews/opinions on the Diyeden or MD-10.
Which one should I get?
Please fee free to recommend other USB DACs in $200~$400 range.
Thank you.

Edit: Does anyone know How those two DAC chips compare the one used in Pico(wolfson WM8740)?

Mar 5, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 16
I'm VERY interested in this outcome. I note that the Keces doesn't have a headphone amp, meaning you get less for your money. Does this mean the dac is that much better? I also see that shipping on the Keces is $45 to the US while the other two include shipping.

In the same general price range is the HeadRoom Micro dac (2007 model - being replaced for the 2008 model and thus on sale for $299 Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

I'd be interested how this little guy compares as well.

Mar 5, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 16
i am curious too.
i wouldnt mind choosing DA-151 if its DAC capability is better than the other two. my guess is that the amplifiers in diyeden and musiland are not that great.

to FreeBlues: if i am not mistaken, pacific valve charges like $30 or $40 for shipping and handling. i previously purchased a svdac04 from them, and they did charge me 30 bucks or so.

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 16
Look for my review of the Keces DAC. It's a fantastic DAC. IMO, a dedicated DAC will always be what you want anyways unless you want a portable solution.

The DAC circuit is FANTASTIC in the Keces unit.... IMO, everything else as far as USB DACs go is overkill. You're at the point of diminishing returns, and you're better off spending your money on a better amp.

Mar 6, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 16
i was initially considering the MD-10 but i ended up settling for the ZERO (for now) though is till havent heard the MD-10

anyway, if ur wallet is up to it... hows abiout a Yulong DAH1. supposed to have a real good DAC with a real good headamp in it

HERE

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 16
I got mine two weeks ago, and have about 50 hrs on it so far. Superb sounding, well beyond my expectations, particularly at the $230 price point. I'd highly recommend. I have a very solid tube amp, B&W system and I hear a major difference in top and bottom range, bottom end solidity and clarity and low noise.

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ubermang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone know which is more superior?
Burrbrown PCM2702 and Cirrus CS4398

OpAmps are NOT what to look for when deciding on what to buy. If that was the case the Lisa and PRII would be CRAP because the opamps in them are lackluster as well. Same goes for the Voyager...not exactly top shelf components, but it still sounds fabulous.

It's all about circuitry implementation, as components are NOT the end all, if even really something worth considering. Judge it by how it sounds, THEN go by what's inside....if even at all.

People have this innate need to chase down specs, when the frequencies in question are at levels only bats can hear, lol.

Read this:
Study: $90 wine tastes better than the same wine at $10 | Underexposed - CNET News.com

Quote:

there's more activity with wine subjects think costs $90 a bottle (top line) than the same wine priced at $10. The arrow shows the moment when the subjects started tasting the wine.

Mar 7, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #12 of 16
Whether it's the circuitry, the chips or maybe it's the plexiglass
smily_headphones1.gif
, this unit sounds better that anything else I've thrown at my stereo, digital or analog (including my prized $450 B&O stylus). Especially at the price, it's one of the better purchases I've made.

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oicdn, I was wondering if you have tried a recent Headroom Microdac and how would you compare it to the Keces 151 DAC?

I haven't tried any of the newer headroom stuff, sorry.

Mar 9, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 16
The PCM2702 and CS4398 aren't op-amps, they're DAC chips. The PCM2702 is designed for USB use, while the CS4398 is a typical chip. The CS4398 is leagues ahead of the PCM2702 in terms of specifications--it's Cirrus's top-of-the-line DAC, and it's used in a fair amount of professional equipment, including most of Digidesign's higher-end systems.

The most significant limitation of the PCM2702 is that it can only play back 16-bit audio. If you ever want to play high-res without downconverting, you'll be out of luck.

So... I'd pick the CS4398. Granted, I've said nothing about sound quality. A poorly-implemented CS4398 will sound worse than a properly-implemented PCM2702. From what I've seen, the KECES DA-151 takes the PCM2702 chip just about as far as it will go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back