Playstation Network Account hacked :(
Dec 10, 2008 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

craiglester

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I sold my PS3 in September (having wiped the HDD as per the firmware instructions, and tonight I get home and I have an E-mail from the PSN saying I purchased a game..

I checked and it seems like my account was stolen, and somone added credit card information to the account and used it to buy the game.

Well, I never trusted the PSN in the first place, so I never stored my CC info on it, and the CC info added to the account, was not my credit card.

I took screen grabs of all the relevant info, and then changed my address, password and deleted the billing info. Sony Customer care is closed right now, so I'll call them in the morning and report it, and ask them to close the account. ( I forgot to close it myself it seems )

So , should I be THAT concerned, as the card used was not mine? Obviously whoever it was could have grabbed my address and email, but that's a matter of public record / a quick google search.

I've filed a fraud alert with experian, and I'll order my free credit report tomorrow..

Any other ideas what I should do? anyone else have this happen?

It looks like the account has been used since Nov 22 to download free demos, but only tonight was there any CC info on it...

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 8
I just got off the phone with Sony.. they seemed confused.. anyway they're going to cancel the account once i e-mail them from the e-mail address.

Experian TransUnion and Equifax now have an agreement to share fraud alerts. Send to one sends to all of them now.

Oh well I'm not going to worry too much. After all it wasnt my CC info.

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got off the phone with Sony.. they seemed confused.. anyway they're going to cancel the account once i e-mail them from the e-mail address.

Experian TransUnion and Equifax now have an agreement to share fraud alerts. Send to one sends to all of them now.

Oh well I'm not going to worry too much. After all it wasnt my CC info.

I have a PS3 and also never added any CC info to it. It is possible that even with the wipe some of your account data could have persisted, and that the person you sold it to went into the PSN and was asked to "add or CC" or something and just did that. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but it is possible.

I think you are in no danger though, your name is on there but as long as your SSN was never on there and it isn't your CC, then you should be in the clear.

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 8
you could have simply cleared his CC info from your account and changed the password

if you earned any trophies on that account i believe you'll have to earn them again on the new account

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 8
I don't think even sony is silly enough to ask for a SSN on a ps3.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah and i did wipe the CC info and addresss and name and changed the password..

kinda worrying the wipe didnt fully remove it though
frown.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think even sony is silly enough to ask for a SSN on a ps3.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah and i did wipe the CC info and addresss and name and changed the password..

kinda worrying the wipe didnt fully remove it though
frown.gif

yeah I don't trust "wipe" features. Next time you could always pop it out and connect it to your pc and use a real wipe program, then reinstall the OS.

BTW, off topic, did you get that CD I sent?

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 8
off topic, i might have
smily_headphones1.gif
but I don't open anything till Xmas day..

Yours went out on monday - grr super saver shipping :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back