Playstation 3 a surprisingly good source?
Dec 7, 2008 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

KevM2

100+ Head-Fier
The PS3 is a gaming machine first and foremost, but I am just amazed at how versatile this system is for media. It seems like there is a very noticeable difference when I listen through music through my PS3 compared to running through a couple of other options.

Here is my setup (using the HD600s as headphones and EF1 as an amp)...
I have everything hooked up to the E-MU 0404. The PS3 is using the optical in and I obviously have it hooked up to my computer via USB 2.0.

I tried 3 options.

First is just usingdigital out from my soundcard into the Emu. Obviously this was the worst sounding.

Second, I tried using the ASIO option with the E-MU. Music got much brighter and detailed, but ended up sounding somewhat clinical.

Finally, I ran the PS3 into the E-MU via optical in. I'm amazed how the PS3 spanks the other 3 options. The sound is so much fuller, livelier and engaging. However, I am having a problem. I keep hearing some of 'popping sound' when listening to audio through the PS3. It happens every ten seconds or so and is kind of that vinyl crackle sort of sound. Maybe this is due to MP3's not being ripped as good as I expected and I'm able to hear that flaw or maybe it's some other set-up problem? Anyone have any ideas?

Anyhow, to close, as good as audio cds and mp3s sound on this thing, what was really phenomenal was listening to DVD audio! I heard the Earth, Wind, and Fire in concert DVD and it sounded amazing, almost as if you were there in the concert. I have no idea how this compares to 3 or 400 dollar dedicated cd players, but compared to my computer's on board sound and using E-MU's sound with ASIO, there is no comparison. I just need to get rid of that annoying crackle. Anyone else with a PS3 that agrees or disagrees?

Dec 7, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 4
I completely agree with you,the ps3 is a wonderful sounding piece of equipment.
I don't think sony intended the ps3 as a games machine more an entertainment system.
Ive had one since launch and i rarely use it for gaming but i'm always using the cd player,blu ray etc.
And yeah it does compare with high end models.
Cracking piece of kit!

Dec 7, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah.. Has a very nice blackground.. Kills the MicrosoftWindTunnel as a CD player & transport.

Fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back