PlayStation 1: The Audiophiles Dream?
Jun 5, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #16 of 43
Haha, another repost already (I think this is the umpteen thread on this...)?

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #17 of 43
it does sound different. I can't think of anything better for the price. depends on what you think is the best sound.

it's not entirely transparent, but I think it's better than my AV-710. for what that's worth. anyone use this as source often?

Jun 5, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm not buying it. Why does 6moons always seem to be involved in these sorts of things?

Because 6moons are a bunch of crack smokers and a fine example of those who listen to the power of suggestion and like to spread propoganda. They are the same guys that like to talk about how those little metal cups no bigger than your fist can be placed around the room to improve the sound. DIE!

p.s. RCA jacks or not, betcha my old Dreamcast = SUPERIOR!

...and you can hook it up to a VGA monitor! ^_^

Jun 5, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #22 of 43
I just replaced my Eastsound with one of these old Playstations. Installed a zapfilter with balanced outs and put the whole thing in a custom ebony and titanium enclosure.
cool.gif

See pics here: Zapstation mkII

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #24 of 43
The PS1 has ok sound quality... not hi-fi though nor anywhere near even low cost cd players. I used one as a cd player when on holiday once and was pleasantly surprised that it didn't suck.

The whole thing with the artical stems from an aprils fools joke.

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #25 of 43
I believe you could turn one into a very nice transport for a relatively cheap price. But it's not fair to compare it to any sort of mainstream equipment. The PSU should be recapped with ultra low esr caps and have film bypass caps added to help with filtering. The electrolytics in the output stage should also be changed to film crossover caps. Regardless of it's potential, it is still a mass-produced item and it would be foolish to think that in stock form it is some sort of neglected dream transport from a component level standpoint.

It's never going to be the best but it can be good. Unfortunately, people always want to have the best and think that anything in-between is junk. This is all relative of course, but I bet you could do worlds better by upgrading a PS1 as mentioned than buying a stand-alone CD-player from a low-end mass-producer. And this one plays games! ^_^

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm not buying it. Why does 6moons always seem to be involved in these sorts of things?

Because for all of their writing talent, superb photography, well regarded name and reviewing staff of ultra rich, intelligent hi-fi buffs they are the most placebo-ignorant overly florid metaphor using, must find the difference somewhere using woollen terminology bunch of misguided if not actually malevolent, likeable but ultimately somewhat clueless group of hoping for a freebie if the review is nice chaps.

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #29 of 43
So how much should I sell my Ver. 1 PS1 that has the RCA outs
plainface.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjc10212 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how much should I sell my Ver. 1 PS1 that has the RCA outs
plainface.gif

20 bucks with RCA
10 bucks without

And if the person ask you why should he spend DOUBLE the amount for your PS1 instead of the cheap 10 bucks one, you point him the OP link and then wish.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back