Playlist users be warned: My first impression of the Plenue R
Sep 6, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #16 of 23
I did, but my playlists have redundancies from one to another and I wasn't keen on having multiple duplicate files.

Sep 6, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #17 of 23
I did, but my playlists have redundancies from one to another and I wasn't keen on having multiple duplicate files.

Yeah it's not ideal workaround, I just thought perhaps as a last resort, and if you had only a handful of playlists that you really wanted to get working then you kinda 'could' in a way, but the issue is when browsing files via id3 tags etc, as you say you'll be doubling up on entries.

I'm not familiar with your Cowon DAP, I have owned many many other Cowon's however. I struggle to believe that the sound signature is not identical (or at least through using their DSPs you can 'get back' to how you like this particular one to sound), could you not cut your losses, sell this one and replace with another Cowon that does support m3u files?

Sep 6, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #18 of 23
I could, but the damn thing is too beautiful, and accepts a 400 GB Micro SD card.

Sep 6, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #19 of 23
Problem discovered... It appears that the Plenue R will only allow 199 files per cue file... Very disappointing development. I will try to confirm with cowon.

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #21 of 23
Highly unlikely. I stopped following Cowon due to their size limits on the microsd cards and no replaygain. How do you have playlists without any kind of sound leveling?

For me that's easy. I use MP3Gain for all my music and choose 93db, thus I hardly reach for the volume on my devices (AP100 by the way, not a Cowon user anymore).
Replaygain is sure handy and I don't see enough devices support Rockbox which had it. But I've done my ABX Testing and I just don't perceive any difference in sound quality comparing say a 192kbps MP3 file vs Flac etc, so any Flac albums I get I convert to 320kbps mp3's, and I EQ heaps anyway so I for me 'improved' sound quality or user experience comes far more from choosing good IEMs, player and EQ features over any 'nonsense' super high bitrate files.

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #22 of 23
i just adjust the volume. I love mp3gain but it doesn't work on FLAC files.

Now as far as the COWON is concerned, i think the only solution at this point is a FW update, because the limitation of 199 tracks on the cue sheets is stupid.

Sep 9, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #23 of 23
i just adjust the volume. I love mp3gain but it doesn't work on FLAC files.

Now as far as the COWON is concerned, i think the only solution at this point is a FW update, because the limitation of 199 tracks on the cue sheets is stupid.

That's why I just convert my FLACs to mp3's. I've done my testing, I cannot ascertain a difference between FLAC and 320kbps Mp3 files, sure i lose the 'snobby purist' FLAC identity but I am happy to do so if it means my little fingers reach for the volume less and I know that audibly I'm losing no quality (at least to my ears).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back