Playing the recorder: Which instrument for an apartment dweller?
Apr 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

GanChan

500+ Head-Fier
I used to play a lot of oboe/saxophone/clarinet in high school and college, but I wandered away from music performance for a few decades after that. I also had a basic introduction to the recorder, and now I'm thinking of getting back into that instrument just for noodling around at home. A decent plastic Yamaha or Aulos would be fine for my limited purposes.

The question is, which type of recorder should I get? I live in an older apartment with the typical single-pane windows and thin walls, so a soprano recorder would drive the neighbors (and probably me) nuts. The alto has all the solo stuff written for it, but I'm wondering if even its tone might be too penetrating in close quarters. There remains the softer and (to me) even more agreeable tone of the tenor recorder -- surely no one ever called the cops on one of THEM -- and I could play a certain amount of classical flute and oboe literature on it, but my hands and fingers are on the small side; I don't know if I can handle the stretch and/or hole width.

Any thoughts or advice from the recorder owners/players out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back