Playing SACD on an Oppo....
Jun 3, 2008 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

senns&nonsense

500+ Head-Fier
I will soon be getting a Blue Ray player and my audio set-up will inherit my Oppo 981. The Oppo will then be used for SACD playback through a pre-amp. Output will be to my headphones as well as to my (2) speakers. I do not anticipate using a multi-speaker set-up in the foreseeable future.

My question is this: Is there any advantage in connecting the Oppo by 5-channel analog connections to a pre-amp w/ multi-channel inputs if I will be listening in 2 channel mode? Put another way, will I lose anything sonically by simply connecting the Oppo through it's "mixed L/R audio outs"?

Thanks for any help!

Jun 3, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 11
Depends on what SACD's and/or SACD layers you will be playing. Most multichannel SACDs have a stereo layer too - which I'd suggest if you are using it only for stereo playback.

I'd dig a little deeper into what the Oppo does though as it may be altering the audio signal...when I had looked into the Oppos a few months ago, I came across some interesting (read not good) things it did, such as converting the DSD signal to PCM; downmixing the multichannel layer into stereo output rather than play the stereo layer, etc.

IMO I would try get the purest (read most unaltered) signal from the DSD of the SACD to the amp(s) via analog out, and avoid and downmixing/converting/sampling or any other tampering.

Cheers,
X

Jun 3, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 11
All SACDs have a 2-channel layer. SACD started life as a two channel format with Multi-ch being added. DVD-Audio discs can have Multi-ch only though.

Downmixing Multi-channel DVD-As to two channel does lose something, but given your headphones are only 2 channel, you don't have too many options. Listening only to the L & R of a 5.1 mix will lose you a lot more e.g. most of the vocals etc.

Jun 3, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the help!

I have read the manual and I am also confused as to what the Oppo does when downmixing. Since I will be listening in 2 channel mode, I would want the Oppo to choose to read and play the stereo layer. If there is a multi-channel layer and a 2-channel layer I would like to program it to choose the 2-channel and avoid the alteration/downmix. I do not see how to do that.

Might it be that the player will ask me which layer to play on a disk-by-disk basis?

And actually (backtracking here....) if I am playing a multi-channel disk would it be better to have the Oppo play the multi-channel and send it to my pre-amp via 5 analog inputs and then have the pre-amp convert that to 2-channels for headphones or my 2 speakers?

Jun 3, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 11
There should be an option somewhere to set defauly playback layer for SACD. Atleast its there on my Sony SACD player so I figured it might be there on your Oppo as well.

As for multi channel. I think downmixing at the receiver end might be a better idea, since for DVD-A you will probably only get the front two channels if you leave out the rest. I am not sure if all receivers will take multichannel and downmix to stereo (or if its an option at all) but if it does have one such option you are better off doing it there.

Jun 3, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 11
Just as jilgiljongiljing says, there is an option for choosing which layer to play back when using a SACD. So far I have found that the PS3 sounds better even when using HDMI on both players.

I strongly believe that the Oppo does a lot of processing to the signal, even when using HDMI PCM out. This is specially true with bass management.

I also tried using the downmixed analog outs, and in my experience all the speaker settings (crossover, etc) do affect the output. I gave up and ended up using the PS3 for SACDs.

Jun 4, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 11
There is an option on the oppo 980 that allows you to change the prefefered output of audio from different sources. Set it to 2 channel / no downmix.

James

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by senns&nonsense /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there is a multi-channel layer and a 2-channel layer I would like to program it to choose the 2-channel and avoid the alteration/downmix.

Just to clarify....with a hybrid SACD, all of the hi-rez data, whether 2 channel stereo or multi-channel surround, is contained on one layer. The other layer is for regular CD.

sacd_discs.jpg

Given that Sony/Philips mandated that all SACD must have a 2 channel stereo (or mono) hi-rez mix, there's no downmixing from multi-channel with SACD.

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 11
Just got my Oppo DV-980H.
And I have to say its analog sound quality is impressive.
For comparison is a Sony DVP-NS900V SACD/DVD player, and the Oppo clearly betters it for all audio formats.

In 2001 the NS-900V was Sony's first multi-channel SACD player for the consumer and sold for $1000.
At the time it was often praised for its sound quality, even TNT audio's reviewer liked its CD playback.
It uses Sony's proprietary DSD multi-channel decoding chip.
Now enter 2008, the inexpensive Oppo uses a Cirrus CS431 multi-bit, delta-sigma, multi-channel DAC.
It means DSD signal is converted to PCM first, which is a concern for audiophiles.
Also, it uses a switching power supply, another concern for audiophiles.
In contrast, the Sony uses a linear power supply and decodes DSD directly.
But the resolution and treble smoothness is just better from the Oppo, playing SACD, CD and DVD.
The analog stage of the Oppo is just four TI N5532A chips.
N5532 is a really old and cheap op-amp, but has regained some reputation for audio applications because the Benchamrk DAC1 uses them.
Anyway, I am very impressed by the Oppo for its sound quality. For CD playback it is still not up to par with my Benchmark DAC1. Fortunately, Oppo's is lagging behind largely in terms of resolution, but maintains treble smoothness and a pleasant feeling.
In the future, it may be possible to have hi-end DACs that accept HDMI1.2, and Oppo can continue to serve as a transport.
At $170, Oppo is widely recognized as an amazing value in graphics. But its audio quality even for CD will compete with entry-level hi-fi CD players. The DVD-audio and SACD playback is good enough to do hi-rez formats justice.
For hybrid SACDs, the DSD material using Oppo's analog out is very slightly more enjoyable than the CD player through Benchmark DAC1. With the Sony I actually preferred the CD layer through the DAC1. I definitely think Oppo is a worthwhile way to experience hi-rez audio.

Jun 17, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the case for the analog outs, but the 980H can send out DSD over HDMI.

That's right.
In this day and age, when simple chips have very good computing powers, I think all digital-digital conversions will be near-perfect.
Consider that newest 24-bit DAC chips are mostly 4-5 bit delta-sigma designs, feeding it 24-bit signal or 1-bit signal is a moot point. Digital-to-digital conversion is needed anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back