Playing lossless files without a PC
Jun 14, 2015 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wook1000

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have a set of Sennheiser HD650s and a Lucid DA9624 DAC in my home office. I'm currently using and old CD transport but would love to play all my digital audio files (ALAC, MP3 etc.) through the DAC. I do have a 5th gen 80gb iPod which could be used for a source if possible.

I don't want to use a PC if possible as I only have the work laptop in the office and would rather keep the music separate for times when I just want to listen to music and not get distracted by work.

I guess I have two questions for everyone

- Is there a workable solution for playing my files without a PC or will it end up just being a pain trying to browse files, playlists etc?
- If it does make sense to pursue this what gear would I be looking at to make it possible?

Thanks!

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 5
  Hi all,

I have a set of Sennheiser HD650s and a Lucid DA9624 DAC in my home office. I'm currently using and old CD transport but would love to play all my digital audio files (ALAC, MP3 etc.) through the DAC. I do have a 5th gen 80gb iPod which could be used for a source if possible.

I don't want to use a PC if possible as I only have the work laptop in the office and would rather keep the music separate for times when I just want to listen to music and not get distracted by work.

I guess I have two questions for everyone

- Is there a workable solution for playing my files without a PC or will it end up just being a pain trying to browse files, playlists etc?
- If it does make sense to pursue this what gear would I be looking at to make it possible?

Thanks!

Sure - there's lots of DAPs out there that will play those files - except for iTunes DRM files.  The X1 from Fiio is $99USD, one of the cheapest.  You'll need the PC to load the music on an SD card, but after that, you won't need it.  I don't know enough about your older iPod, but I don't think it supports the newer HiRes stuff, if that's what you're interested in. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back