playing FLAC in foobar2000 with WASAPI at 841kbps to 1148kbps.
Dec 31, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #16 of 25
I always stick to Wasapi for bitperfect playback. Asio has always managed to give me bugs.
However it was told that it is hard to differentiate between DS and Wasapi.

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #17 of 25
I tried listening to the WASAPI playback options (WASAPI (event): Speakers (2-Schiit USB Audio Device) and WASAPI push: Speakers (2-Schiit USB Audio Device)) They both sound TERRIBLE!!! compared to DS primary sound driver. Like, I don't even need the headphones on my head to hear the distortion. 

Is there some other setting I must change when selecting either the WASAPI event or push?

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #19 of 25
Just don't use Wasapi, it's pointless. Windows mixer is bit perfect, so long as the volume is at 100%

*edit* AND you aren't playing anything else along with the music.

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #20 of 25
Unfortunately I have the volume set at much lower than 100% because of my magni amp's weird gain problem.

I was told that wasapi sends all the sound directly to the external DAC.

So even though I have wasapi listed in foobar2000 as an installed component, it isn't active currently, because I don't have it set as a playback option?

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #21 of 25
No, you set it in File - Preferences - Output - Device.
Also, be sure to set the output format to the right setting.

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #22 of 25
Well you are going to be losing information if you have it set much lower than 100%. Regardless of Wasapi.

How much of a difference it will make, I don't know. Turning the volume down significantly will have much more of a real effect than wasapi though.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:
Well you are going to be losing information if you have it set much lower than 100%. Regardless of Wasapi.

How much of a difference it will make, I don't know. Turning the volume down significantly will have much more of a real effect than wasapi though.

Even if I have the DAC set to 24bit?

Sorry about all the questions, I am still very new to all of this.

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:
Even if I have the DAC set to 24bit?

Sorry about all the questions, I am still very new to all of this.

It's still not the best idea. I was just saying, I'd be more concerned about the volume being turned down than the wasapi (which is not at all).

I'd only be marginally concerned about turning the volume down, especially with a 24 bit dac. If I don't use my headphone amp as a pre, I'll set my amp to about halfway (as loud as I'd ever want it) and then use software volume control. Doing it like that isn't really much of a concern. Just don't be having your computer down at 15-20% and your amp maxed out.. might result in an audible noise floor.

My .02, welcome to the hobby :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back