playing back "Loveless"
Dec 11, 2003 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

squibcake

Head-Fier
My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" is one of my favorite records, but playing it back is a beast. I can't think of a rock record with more density. Does anyone have a rig that they think makes this record really shine?

Dec 11, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 11
I haven't heard the vinyl LP version, but I've had the CD, which is still only available in original issue form. IMO, the CD is a perfect example of crummy early(ish) low-rez digital mastering. The soul of that album is in there somewhere waiting to get out, you just can feel it.

I agree that's one heck of a densely and subtly layered album, I believe a million dollars was spent on recording, and one year was spent on just mixing alone. It has a great rep as a masterpiece, but you'd never know it from that crappy CD version.

Damn, that's one album that screams out for re-mastering or being put on SACD/DVD-A, though Kevin Shields will probably spend 5.1 years mixing the multi-channel version.
wink.gif

Another group whose music is so involved, detailed, multi-tracked, loud, and heavily layered and mixed is Jason Pierce's Spiritualized, don't know if you are familiar with them. On low-end equipment his albums sound like ghostly, murky, muddled mush, impossible to sort out. As I've gotten better and better equipment, they keep revealing more and more of those great albums, separating all those tracks and sounds so they are finally a joy to listen to, some of the best headphone music in my collection. I have hope that Loveless can be salvaged with proper mastering.

Mark

Dec 11, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 11
it would be great for sire to issue a remaster, but to tell the truth i don't think that they'd even let kevin shields be involved with the project. after loveless, he absconded with the advance for the next mbv record only to resurface almost ten years later playing guitar on that new order reunion tour. i believe that he actually still owes sire another record!

i really wanna hear the reissue LP and see if anything else can come alive in lovelessland....

Dec 12, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 11
haven't listened to it yet. We have an all vintage setup, Technics SL-10 turntable with some crappy AT cartridge (20 bucks), Marantz 2238 reciever (which has slowly been dying on us), and Advent Larger Loudspeakers (a landmark set of speakers from 68, repaired by us). We have a few records that we haven't listened to yet, we treat record listening as a social event so we all sit down and listen to it as an apartment.

Dec 12, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 11
I have the reissuee LP, I have listened to it on my system (in signature), and it is not that great -- it sounds fine, but nothing special. This is the sound quality of course, the album rocks. Unfortunately, the soundstage sounds somewhat compressed, and it sounds just ok...
As people have said, it could really use some remastering -- it's such a great album. I had never heard it before I got the LP last week, just that it was so hyped. It was certainly worth it, it is a shame that the sound quality is not great.

Dec 12, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 11
I don't really mind it. I think of it as lo-fi, which is just a characteristic. Isn't Anything is also a great album, Lose My Breath is one of my favorite MBV songs (2nd song).

Dec 12, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Mallow005
I don't really mind it. I think of it as lo-fi, which is just a characteristic.

IMHO, any record that costs *millions* of dollars and takes *years* to mix shouldn't come across as lo-fi...still praying for a remaster.

Dec 12, 2003 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by squibcake
IMHO, any record that costs *millions* of dollars and takes *years* to mix shouldn't come across as lo-fi...still praying for a remaster.

I don't think of it as "Low-Fi" .. I think of it as.. LOVELESS. After all the time they spent on it, you don't think it sounds exactly like Kevin wanted it to sound? I'm sure if he didn't like the mix he would have raised hell. I enjoy it on its own terms. It's like.. my favorite album.. Husker Du's NEW DAY RISING.. sure, some people would like to see their entire catalog remastered. But, I don't know if I want that album to sound any different than my original SST vinyl copy sounds. I worry that a remaster of LOVELESS just might change the character of the music. I would certainly listen to a remaster, but I don't lose sleep hoping for one either.

-jar

Dec 12, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 11
Kevin did the mixing himself, but obviously not the mastering. The problem, IMO is that taking all those tracks all that information and forcing onto low-rez CD (with 1990 mastering technology/techniques) is like trying to shove Niagra Falls through a drinking straw. I think this is why it sounds so bad. But yes, that's an act of faith on my part, but I think we'll know better what it's potential is if we get a good re-mastering or a hi-rez version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back