Player with DLNA/UPnP-support
Jul 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hilmar

New Head-Fier
I have an app on my phone (an HTC Desire HD) with which I can stream music from my pc, which is running foobar and its UPnP-server-component. I love it. The only problem is that the soundquality of the HTC Desire HD is really awful. I had a Nokia 5800M before, and when I got my new phone it was a huge upgrade in every respect. But when I listened to some music for the first time with it I was so disappointed with the soundquality that I almost sent my shiny new toy back.
Well, in the end I didn't.

So now I need something to play my music both at home via wi-fi/dlna and on the go. Here's what I want it to be able to do:

• good soundquality!!
  • wi-fi and dlna-support
  • play flac

Does anyone know what players would fit the bill?

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 7
Not sure if you are looking for something outside of the apple family, but an iPod Touch with the plugplayer app ($4.99) works great.  I use it in conjunction with foo_upnp streaming flac on my local network, and transcoded mp3 outside the local network.

As far as FLAC playback locally on the touch, you can get the FLAC player in the app store for 10 bucks, or since you already are familiar with foobar, use the excellent foo_dop to transcode to apple lossless and use the ipod app.

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 7
Mhm. I am not a big fan of apple. Thats more a philosophical thing though, so I might consider this anyway if nothing else is able to do what I want. Thanks for the reply.

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 7
the new Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc has DLNA compatibility via Sony Ericsson's Media Server app. as for Flac playing, im sure android market has a number of those starting with the Player (for free!). as for SQ, i havent heard it myself but based on its predessors, im a thinkin its a gonna be a more than a decent
wink_face.gif

plus its gorgeous to my eyes & super super thin with a large super amoled display plus with gingerbread, theres none of the xperia x10 nonsense! sounds like its spec'd for yo needs.

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 7
I should have payed more attention to soundquality when i shopped for a new phone, but now that i have one I am going to stick with it. I need a dedicated pmp, not another smartphone. Thanks anyway for the reply.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 7
What about Cowon D3?
It has android just as your Desire HD so you should be able to use the same program on it. It plays flac and from what i heard it sounds really good.
Check it out!

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 7
well if pmp & dlna are a must then i do believe the touch is about your only solution afaik. goodluck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back