Player suggestions for my friend
Mar 8, 2005 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Cyclone

Headphoneus Supremus
So my friend wants to get an ipod, problem is he doesnt even have a 2 gigs of music, is always active, a clutz, and a fool when it comes to anything electronic. Should he get the mini or is there something better suited? The ipod would be good for him cause he's not an audiophile so he wont have to worry about the EQ, and its easy to use. But it would be bad cause he's always dropping things and needs a long battery life or one with a replaceable battery (cause he'll forget to recharge it no doubt). he'll need a player that looks good cause he's that kind of person
rolleyes.gif
. Any other suggestions other than the mini?

Mar 9, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.karmalicious
Carbon? Easy to use, good battery life...

Agree. Drag and drop will be his best friend. And its so shiny it'll probably be hard to lose.
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 15
Sound like a Mini to me. I'd certainly take it's metal case over most smaller players ... except of course flash based ... for durability.

I'd say Mini or iAudio U2 or one of the new Sony players.

Mar 9, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 15
he hates the shuffle. he thinks its the biggest rip off he's ever seen. but i think a flash player would be good except he has a bit too much music so i think either the carbon or mini would suit him. but he'll no doubt pick the mini due to its "cool" factor. tell me if this is just me or not but the ipod used to have the cool factor but now its kinda like, meh oh you have an ipod too? ya even my grandpa has one, they're ok. i get more stares, questions and coments like "oh thats sweet" when i have my micro out. but mabey thats just my school

Mar 9, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #8 of 15
I'd tell him to wait for one of those new Sony 1g flash players since he may be a flash user considering the way you described him.

Mar 9, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdog311
I'd tell him to wait for one of those new Sony 1g flash players since he may be a flash user considering the way you described him.

umm he has severe ADD so i dont think he'll be able to wait, in fact he might have already bought an ipod, i tried to convince him to look around at other players but its like talking to a cat, they just kinda look around and find something shiny to bat around with.
rolleyes.gif
thanks for the help guys i think either he might sacrafice waiting a month for the new sony flash player (doubt it though) or he'll buy a mini but i'll see if i can convince him to concider the carbon too.

Mar 9, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
tell me if this is just me or not but the ipod used to have the cool factor but now its kinda like, meh oh you have an ipod too? ya even my grandpa has one, they're ok. i get more stares, questions and coments like "oh thats sweet" when i have my micro out. but mabey thats just my school

If you pick a player 'cause it's alternative, you're certainly in the same league as someone that picks one 'cause its cool (defined as 'other' or 'in' or 'plaid' or 'whatever'). Often it seems the biggest complaint about the iPod is it's popular. Heaven forbid. Man, the older I get the less I understand.

Mar 10, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
If you pick a player 'cause it's alternative, you're certainly in the same league as someone that picks one 'cause its cool (defined as 'other' or 'in' or 'plaid' or 'whatever')

I didnt buy the micro cause it was the "alternative", i bought it cause i wanted a better battery life, customizable EQ, radio, and removable battery.

Mar 10, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
If you pick a player 'cause it's alternative, you're certainly in the same league as someone that picks one 'cause its cool (defined as 'other' or 'in' or 'plaid' or 'whatever'). Often it seems the biggest complaint about the iPod is it's popular. Heaven forbid. Man, the older I get the less I understand.

yeah, but i think there is nothing wrong with looking at a micro (or whatever) because it's not an ipod.
i also think it's perfectly fine if someone buys an ipod just because it is 'cool'
if that is higher on your priority list than the details of the product, whatever; whatever makes you happy

Mar 10, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 15
Being active and a klutz, and not having a ton of music to boot, a 1GB flash drive would do just fine. I would stay away from any hard drive based player.

Mar 10, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 15
well after arguing/talking with my friend about his player i think he still wants to get the new mini, pretty much all of the arguing was trying to convince him that the 4gb one that is on sale doesnt have the 18hrs of battery life that the new 250 dollar 6gb one has
rolleyes.gif
. what can i say he's not the sharpest tack in the box. i showed him the stats on the carbon and he liked it but then he saw it and decided he still liked the mini better... i think he's just going to buy a mini and there's about nothing i can do to convince him that a thinner, smaller player that has 5gb, better battery life (than the 1st gen mini), customizable EQ, and is about 50-100 dollars cheaper, would be better for him. oh well it aint my loss
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help guys
3000smile.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #15 of 15
If it's going to be dropped, don't get a Carbon. I had one for about three weeks, then I dropped it onto carpet and the scroll wheel got stuck in and never came out.
frown.gif
Other than that I loved it though, especially the drag-and-drop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back