Player for Westone 4 - make soundstage concert hall
May 24, 2011 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

WisdomListens

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a portable music player that will change the soundstage of the Westone 4's from studio to more concert hall-like.

I'd also like long battery life (I'm willing to sacrifice a touch screen and video support)
and also 60+ GB of storage space.

Flac or apple lossless support needed.

Thanks

May 24, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 13
cowon j3

May 24, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:

Looks like a very nice player but I'm looking for more storage capacity and I also want to keep the price down. I don't need a video player or a touch screen so I don't want to have to pay for those extras.

May 24, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 13
The iPod classic is very good, especially when it is amped (LOD's aren't too expensive).

May 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
The iPod classic is very good, especially when it is amped (LOD's aren't too expensive).

What kind of amp do you use? Hopefully it is not too expensive. I don't want the amp to be the same or more expensive the actual earphones.

What is LOD?

I use the W4's from an iPhone 4 and I really like the sound but I'm on the search for more storage so I thought might as well get something with a different musical presentation, in this case being more concert hall-like for classical music.

May 24, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
What kind of amp do you use? Hopefully it is not too expensive. I don't want the amp to be the same or more expensive the actual earphones.

What is LOD?

I use the W4's from an iPhone 4 and I really like the sound but I'm on the search for more storage so I thought might as well get something with a different musical presentation, in this case being more concert hall-like for classical music.

LOD stands for Line-out dock. It's a small cable that plugs into the dock connector and gives you a clean line-out signal. I found a surprising improvement with a Fiio E5 and my UM3X. However, if you really want soundstage, you will probably need full size headphones.

May 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
LOD stands for Line-out dock. It's a small cable that plugs into the dock connector and gives you a clean line-out signal. I found a surprising improvement with a Fiio E5 and my UM3X. However, if you really want soundstage, you will probably need full size headphones.

In what ways did the Fiio E5 improve the UM3x?

Nah I don't want more soundstage I just want a different presentation of it.

May 24, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
In what ways did the Fiio E5 improve the UM3x?

Nah I don't want more soundstage I just want a different presentation of it.

I found that the E5 improved the details in the highs and upper midrange and also improved the sound quality at lower volumes. It also has less hiss than the iPod's headphone jack, for some reason. YMMV, but I personally feel that the E5 is actually a pretty good amp and people don't give it enough credit due to the low price tag. It also pairs very well with the Sansa Clip+

May 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
I found that the E5 improved the details in the highs and upper midrange and also improved the sound quality at lower volumes. It also has less hiss than the iPod's headphone jack, for some reason. YMMV, but I personally feel that the E5 is actually a pretty good amp and people don't give it enough credit due to the low price tag. It also pairs very well with the Sansa Clip+

Alright cool thanks. I might get me an E5.

May 24, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
If that's the case, get the FiiO E7 or the CMOYbb from JDS Labs on ebay, two amps that are much better than the E5, and don't cost much more. The E7 can be found for $80 (and it has a DAC) and the JDS Labs' Cmoy is like $60. The E5 is not going to improve the W4s, nor make its soundstage sound more like a concert hall. In fact, the E7 or CMOY probabably won't either, but the CMOY has very good synergy with the W4s, I had one once (but got a more expensive Leckerton UHA-4, which is like $199 now). Do not get the E5, you will be disappointed.

There is another FiiO amp, the E11, coming out soon, that is supposed to be very good for the money, but no DAC. Under $70 I think. There is a thread on it. May be best to wait and get that. FiiO's E5 was really their entry level amp, and it's really just a bass boost, and not great at that. The E11 may be just what you need.

Alright thanks. I'll wait for a little while.

May 24, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
I'm looking for a portable music player that will change the soundstage of the Westone 4's from studio to more concert hall-like.

I'd also like long battery life (I'm willing to sacrifice a touch screen and video support)
and also 60+ GB of storage space.

Flac or apple lossless support needed.

Thanks

there is an ipod/phone app called 3D music pro

it not only has a "3d" effect that may do what you want, but it also has 3 other effects options:

studio
concert hall
stadium

the effects are a bit over the top if you ask me, but one of them may suit you.
its only 3 bucks

May 24, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
there is an ipod/phone app called 3D music pro

it not only has a "3d" effect that may do what you want, but it also has 3 other effects options:

studio
concert hall
stadium

the effects are a bit over the top if you ask me, but one of them may suit you.
its only 3 bucks

Cool thanks I'll give it a try.

May 24, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #13 of 13
The 3D music player app is actually pretty good. A nice change of the musical presentation.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back