Playback Volume and BASS on the FIIO E10K impressions and questions
Dec 14, 2014 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TLoFP

New Head-Fier
I would like some expert opinions on what I think I am hearing on the FiiO E10K vs. other sources. The headphones I am using are Sennheiser HD-280s. Other sources include a Kennwood VR-606 receiver, the build in sound of two different desktops, the build in sound of the MS Surface Pro 3, and finally the Nexus 4. Most music is played via google music.

At first I was amazed by how great it was. I thought I heard new instruments that I had not heard before. When I try to A/B however and specifically listen for this "new" instrument. I would be hard pressed to identify the playback device in a blind A/B. 

After the placebo effect wore off there are three things I still can not explain. 

1. I consistently listen to music at a lower volume on the FiiO E10K then I do on any of my other sources.
2. My other sources tend to fatigue my ears. This results in me turning up the volume as the day passes. I don't do this with the FiiO.
3. The bass is quieter on the FiiO E10K, but not less. This statement doesn't even make sense in my head. The FiiO has very defined bass, something that is very apparent in classical music. I feel like my other sources, especially the Kennwood VR-606 lumps all of the sub-bass energy into a higher more audible bass frequency, thus giving the illusion of "more bass".

This is my first foray into Hi-Fi sound. Could some more seasoned Head-Fiers explain the effects that I am noticing. Am I just making this stuff up?

thanks
TLoFP

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 5
Sure - what you are describing is perfectly consistent. The HD280s were probably underpowered from most of your sources. An underpowered headphone will typically sound "smaller" - less dynamic. Musical passages that demand more power don't get it, so the amplitude of those sections do not rise to the level they should. This tends to "flatten" the sound and you lose definition. You might also increase the volume to try to compensate. Those high energy sections of the music are key areas, so you want those to stand out - so you increase the volume. You know the bass is supposed to be there, so you increase the volume. Adding the additional power opened up these high power requirement sections and allowed you to reduce the overall volume without losing the impact of the key musical sections.

This is *exactly* why head-fiers believe that listening to full-size headphones from the typical non-audiophile sources without an amp is not being fair to those headphones.

As far as the Kenwood receiver, what you might be seeing there is an effect caused by a higher output impedance on the headphone jack messing with the sound signature.

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 5
Sure - what you are describing is perfectly consistent. The HD280s were probably underpowered from most of your sources. An underpowered headphone will typically sound "smaller" - less dynamic. Musical passages that demand more power don't get it, so the amplitude of those sections do not rise to the level they should. This tends to "flatten" the sound and you lose definition. You might also increase the volume to try to compensate. Those high energy sections of the music are key areas, so you want those to stand out - so you increase the volume. You know the bass is supposed to be there, so you increase the volume. Adding the additional power opened up these high power requirement sections and allowed you to reduce the overall volume without losing the impact of the key musical sections.

This is *exactly* why head-fiers believe that listening to full-size headphones from the typical non-audiophile sources without an amp is not being fair to those headphones.

As far as the Kenwood receiver, what you might be seeing there is an effect caused by a higher output impedance on the headphone jack messing with the sound signature.

Yes, there is definitely more dynamic range on the FiiO. One thing that I noticed without a doubt was amazing channel separation. In games I had a much better sense of where sounds were coming from.

Thanks for the explanation Billy. I just dug up my old CDs. Time to see if the difference between the sources is more apparent on this higher quality medium.

TLoFP

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 5
But the HD 280's are only 64 ohms. They should be able to be more than adequately driven by _any_ source no matter the size.

Can you clarify your point #1 a little bit? Are you saying you listen to music at quieter levels when listening through the FiiO, but when you listen through your other sources you listen at louder levels?

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 5
  But the HD 280's are only 64 ohms. They should be able to be more than adequately driven by _any_ source no matter the size.

Can you clarify your point #1 a little bit? Are you saying you listen to music at quieter levels when listening through the FiiO, but when you listen through your other sources you listen at louder levels?

Yes. On the FiiO I listen to quieter volumes. On other sources I have a tendency to turn up the volume. I also have the habit of turning up the volume as my day progress and becomes more stressful, this effect is also greatly reduced when listening to the FiiO.

- TLoFP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back