Playback of iTune via PC/DAC vs. iPod
Dec 31, 2008 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

busyx2

100+ Head-Fier
Would the PC+Dac route definitely better?

With small notebook ('netbook') like EEE Pc costing less than $100 over the cost of iPod, it seems time to switch over....

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 11
Maybe - except:

1) It's a pain to have to boot your PC just to listen to some tunes.
2) Even with the best PC touchpad, it's not easy to navigate to a new album with one hand.
3) It's kind of hard to put your netbook in your shirt pocket.

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 11
For sound quality, the PC netbook with external drive and DAC/amp for sure. However, my iMod with portable vcap dock will rival the USB DAC amp's DAC when plugged into a good portable amp.

Netbook with 80gb external drive and USB DAC amp ($500-550 with Nuforce Icon Mobile) is cheaper than an 80gb iMod with vcaps, LOD, mini-mini and amp ($1050-$1200 with interconnects and same amp).

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 11
For sound quality I would put my vote on a PC/DAC.
Since it allow you to use an high quality external DAC, which should outperform the one built into an iPod.

It wont be just as portable though. So depends what you're looking for

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 11
I was trying for a bit of subtle humor, but it didn't quite work...

My point was that I don't see this as an equivalent comparison. Portability is a primary function of the ipod (or any pocket-sized DAP), and the netbook does not offer the same type of portability. I think a PC loaded with lossless files with a good external DAC is as good as it gets for digital media - how could it be otherwise? In that situation the PC is simply being used as a storage device that is streaming the bits to the external DAC. As long as the PC can do that without dropping or corrupting bits, it's job is done - no? But that's a completely different primary requirement than what the ipod is typically being asked to do. I think we need to understand the OP's operating environment and requirements before the question can be answered. The fact that he mentioned a small netbook makes me think there's more to it than just pure SQ in a desktop or listening room environment.

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 11
If you aren't concerned with portability but primarily with SQ, you should consider Wadia's iTransport + iPod + DAC. iMod also works with this configuration... I doubt that a PC will effectively deal with jitter as well as the iTransport, unless you're going with a great soundcard. You can also research and go for DACs which re-clocks digital signal & lowers jitter at the DAC-level, and not at the transport level.

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #9 of 11
I think the key point of the question is whether iTune sounds better than iPod? Instead of paying $400 for iTransport; why not use the USB out from the PC playing directly to a DAC? iTransport seems to be a more drastic white elephant comparing to a netbook.

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 11
One of the virtues of iTransport is that it's one of only two devices available that extracts bit-perfect digital out of iPod (the other is a vastly more expensive option from MSB Tech, which requires intensive modding of the iPod, as well.) If you're interested in the best digital sound, bit-perfect extraction of digital info is crucial, as is reduction of jitter, which iTransport does both.

The thing about using USB out into DAC is that without appropriate care, you'll have jitter issues. You need to either invest in a DAC which reclocks at the DAC level & not the PC level (i.e. Bryston BDA-1, etc.) OR a DAC which controls the flow of digital info rather than rely on the PC to do it, via asynchronous method (i.e. Wavelength Cosecant.)

I've heard some truly TERRIBLE music from laptop/DAC set-up involving USB, including the Grace m902. The only relatively affordable option which strangely doesn't affect the sound too much was USB input of the Paradisea+, which makes it a true bargain, IMO... but the Paradisea+ was the exception rather than the rule. When you opt for the USB connection, you have to know how your DAC will handle it. That's why people who are truly interested in getting hi-fi music out of PCs still use Lynx or RME soundcards to interface with DAC.

Anyway, in light of all this, going with Wadia iTransport via coax into DAC is a much simpler & more elegant way to get top-rate sound, IMO. Less headache.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back