Playback Designs DACS
Dec 3, 2022 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 194

F208Frank

Headphoneus Supremus
Mine comes around february, any one currently using one?

Dec 3, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 194
I researched it a while back. The company is on my short list of brands to try when I upgrade my dac

Dec 3, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 194
I researched it a while back. The company is on my short list of brands to try when I upgrade my dac
Yep! They are the real deal. Other options in the FGPA discreet DAC, space at this level

dCS
Esoteric
Rockna Wavedream

I upgraded my DAC in late August to the Weiss DAC501-4Ch which is Delta Sigma of course. But anything at this level will be fantastic and just a matter of preference.

Dec 4, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 194
Mine comes around february, any one currently using one?
Not PBD but Emm Labs, almost the exact same tech, with PBD being more forgiving than Emm Labs but you do give up a tiny bit in soundstage/holographic sound. System synergy is more important at this level of gear.

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 194
Not PBD but Emm Labs, almost the exact same tech, with PBD being more forgiving than Emm Labs but you do give up a tiny bit in soundstage/holographic sound. System synergy is more important at this level of gear.
Amen.

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 194
Is this the pure DAC model? I know they have a few models, SACD player and a streamer model.

It should be fantastic it's got an amazing pedigree.
Yes sir pure dac model. I looked into their streamer but it is only a player and not a server/player combo.

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 194
PBD does seem to have a good reputation, quite excited to receive mine.

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 194
Anyone use these for headphones only?

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 194
We are all waiting for your impression. :beerchug:

Jan 21, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 194
Mar 2, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 194
Fun times, my server is in for repair and I am using the dac without my server for now.

First impressions are too early, will update in near future.

As I have not been without a server for the longest time, it is sort of refreshing to go back to basics and just have a laptop/dac/amp, the good ole simple days, the server was always my least favorite piece of gear despite it being so "foundational."

Attachments

• 16778129397987733805543967638193.jpg
    16778129397987733805543967638193.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 194
You know how people always talk about order of importance being amp, dac then server?

I am starting to feel with a little more dac experience, that I can understand why some people would rank dac before amp in order of importance.

I think ranking either of them above the other can potentially be the wrong way of looking at it as they are both so important in their own ways. I am guessing people generally put amp above dac in terms of amount of money spent to affect total amount of sound. Though DAC nuances are much less, sometimes those nuances truly make or break a song.

This DAC is damn wonderful and if you happen to be in NY, feel free to come listen and give your own description in this thread.

To summarize with my limited audio vocab, music is presented in a very clear/concise/realistic manner while retaining musicality.

The drums sound very very realistic on variety of songs. Unsure what it is doing, but it is doing some good s***.

My dac background is limited but it went in this order:

Benchmark DAC
Dave Chord
Holo May
Playback Edelweiss

Benchmark was great value and an all around decent DAC

Dave was a bit clinical to me, warranty was trash and will never buy chord again

Holo was musical yet has enough detail, one of the strongest value out there amongst dacs in general, I would be content with this DAC

Edelweiss is kind of a hybrid of Dave and Holo May in the sense that it is very detailed like the DAVE, but yet retains high levels of musicality like the Holo May, when you combine those two positive attributes, you just get this clear fun presentation mashed together.

Side Note: Diminishing returns are heavy here but at the same time "going backwards" will be bit hard from here on out. College tuition for kid? *shrugs*

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #15 of 194
You know how people always talk about order of importance being amp, dac then server?

I am starting to feel with a little more dac experience, that I can understand why some people would rank dac before amp in order of importance.

I think ranking either of them above the other can potentially be the wrong way of looking at it as they are both so important in their own ways. I am guessing people generally put amp above dac in terms of amount of money spent to affect total amount of sound. Though DAC nuances are much less, sometimes those nuances truly make or break a song.

This DAC is damn wonderful and if you happen to be in NY, feel free to come listen and give your own description in this thread.

To summarize with my limited audio vocab, music is presented in a very clear/concise/realistic manner while retaining musicality.

The drums sound very very realistic on variety of songs. Unsure what it is doing, but it is doing some good s***.

I absolutely 💯 agree! When one has a DAC such as this it does make you rethink the importance of such a foundational piece of the audio chain. Although I run a different brand and model I do have a great deal of respect for Playback Designs and for the anchor role in the digital front end.

Glad that your loving it! And happy to see people choosing quality brands from quality digital designers and not just the same old same old.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back