Play FLAC on Apple products
Jan 14, 2012 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kryten123

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I wasn't sure which forum to post this on or whether people are aware but I thought I would let you know just case.

I've stumbled across this app for apple products and just tested it and it works really well.

FLAC Player

http://hammockdistrict.com/flacplayer/

1) Rip your CDs to FLAC (with something other than itunes)

2) Plug in your apple product

3) Run the app in itunes

3) Add you FLACs via the app in itunes

4) Play the FLACs via the app on your apple product.

Now there's no need to be restricted by apple formats.

Enjoy 

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 13
Thanks for the info but it looks like you are not the first headfier using flac player: 
wink_face.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/518504/flac-player-for-iphone-ipod-touch-and-ipad

Cheers

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 13
I'm not an apple user and was looking for a FLAC player for a friend.
Thought I'd share incase others werent aware

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 13
but not for all apple music players though. non app supported classic, nano & shuffle users gotta rip into wma lossless and itunes will convert the tracks into ALAC. lot of work!!

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 13
As I say, I dont use apple so I didnt check that. It just worked on a touch 3rd gen

I suppose the answer to Incompatibility is... to use a less restrictive PMP

wink_face.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 13
but not for all apple music players though. non app supported classic, nano & shuffle users gotta rip into wma lossless and itunes will convert the tracks into ALAC. lot of work!!

Wouldn't it be easier to skip the middle step and just import CD's directly into iTunes as ALAC files? iTunes does that easily enough.

I just convert all my FLACs to ALAC via XLD. Select a batch, "open with" XLD, pretty shortly after I have everything in ALAC. 

I like XLD, and it converts FLAC to ALAC very quickly, even on my 3+ year old laptop.

It's not likely that Apple is ever going to natively support FLAC (or Ogg Vorbis) in their products, because the format is a potential patent trap. That no one has yet claimed a patent does not imply that it is not patent protected.

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 13
Wouldn't it be easier to skip the middle step and just import CD's directly into iTunes as ALAC files? iTunes does that easily enough.

Only Apple players support ALAC. So I have to repeat the mentioned step in backwards to use the ripped files in my other players!

Other manufacturers make portable players and/or software that support ALAC, also. For example, players running Rockbox and some Cowon devices support ALAC. Further, since ALAC is free open source software (without any associated patent trap potential), that compatibility will only increase going forward.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 13
I heard about rockboxed players support ALAC but not cowon players! It is not even listed in their product page or I might've missed something. which cowon players support ALAC?

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #13 of 13
which cowon players support ALAC?

According to Wikipedia, the A3 does (confirmed by Internet forum posts). But Wikipedia's list of Cowon players appears to possibly be out of date, so newer models/firmware versions may also support ALAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back