Plastic scratches? Try "Novus" polish...
Nov 12, 2003 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Halide

100+ Head-Fier
If you have any fine scratches on your iPod front (or any other device), try Novus #2 to polish them out. I got a kit on ebay for $10.

I had some scratches, and after a few rubs of Novus #2, it was 90% less visible. However, a few, very fine scratches remained. I bet if I spent 30 minutes on it, they would all be gone.

I think some scratches were a little deeper than Novus #2 could reach. The few TINY scratches remaining were almost invisible so I didn't bother with Novus #3 (which is for deeper scratches).

My after pic really sucks because I already have a WriteRight protector on the screen, and it's in crappy lighting!
tongue.gif
So...you're left with these...(on a slow host
eek.gif
)

http://halide.mine.nu/ipod-front.jpg
http://halide.mine.nu/ipod-front2.jpg

Nov 12, 2003 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 11
Do you think it would work removing scratch from CD? Than might be interesting.

Edit: Nice avatar You might want to switch the blue and red so it's actualy in the good position they got it backward here your facing the smilies so it should be in the reverse. It remind me I should change my avatar but I'm too lasy

Nov 12, 2003 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by DanT
Do you think it would work removing scratch from CD? Than might be interesting.

Yep, it could (if used carefully). It's also handy for removing scratches from turntable dust covers.

Nov 12, 2003 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 11
hm, i just bought a can of Brasso polish, which jewllers apparently use for removing scratches from plastic watch face covers. like a bubble head, i was drinking whiskey and iPoding at 5am this morning and scratched the face of my ipod a bit. i learned about Brasso on the web and, although there are many reference to it be fine to use, I'm still a bit hesitant. Anyone here ever try it. BTW the can of Brasso cost a buck.

Nov 12, 2003 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 11
Believe me, Halide, I would. But being stuck here in Bangkok, Thailand, sometime you just have to make due....
rolleyes.gif

Nov 12, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 11
Halide,

Nice job on restoring the shine to your ipod. Just one question, does Novus contain any petroleum byproducts? The reason why I'm asking is that if I plan on using this polish on certain plastic surfaces, will it cause discoloration because it may contain petroleum or hydorcarbon byproducts as found in many polishes and waxes.

Nov 12, 2003 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by warubozu
Halide,

Nice job on restoring the shine to your ipod. Just one question, does Novus contain any petroleum byproducts? The reason why I'm asking is that if I plan on using this polish on certain plastic surfaces, will it cause discoloration because it may contain petroleum or hydorcarbon byproducts as found in many polishes and waxes.

I don't know -- there are no ingredients listed on the back. Since it is recommended on the back for plastic windows and windshields, I'd assume it would not discolor at all... I think their real website is www.novuspolish.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back