Plastic RCA Connector - Eichmann Alternatives?
Feb 8, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 13
Well umm.. I'm guessing Radio Shack might sell a few?
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 13
Maybe I should have clarified. I want the part that grips the shield (ground) to be plastic... like the Eichmanns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360
Well umm.. I'm guessing Radio Shack might sell a few?
tongue.gif

Can you provide a link?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
but why?

I'm tired of assembling an amp, DAC, etc. only to have this commercial jewelry (i.e. crap) scratch my RCAs. I think I posted here about my experience with the LOK connectors on Cardas bulkheads...

Anyway, not only do Eichmanns grip harder than other RCA I used, but they don't leave a mark on my RCAs... what a concept. That being said, it's always a bad design choice to use plastic as a spring...

Regards,
Bryan

Feb 10, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 13
Ok, I thought you were talking about the handle of the plug. As for the part that grips the ground, I've no clue. The only one that I know that has that design is the Eichmann's. The reason that Eichmann's even have that design is because it's suppose to improve signal transfer (I think) by applying the signal on one single point over the diameter of the connector rather than surrounding the thing. How it accomplishes that, I have no clue. But one thing I do know is that those plugs look damn cool, and pricey too!

Perhaps the Eichmann "Basis" Bullet Plugs can hit the spot for you. They're quite a bit cheaper, and they have the plastic surrounds.

Feb 11, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bryman79
Who sells the Basis plugs cheap? I think the bullets go for $38 per set of 4.

They are ugly as sin, but they are the only ones made of plastic...

Thanks,
Bryan

If that $38 is from take five audio then that is $38 canadian.

Feb 11, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #9 of 13
Actually the $38 was from Welbourne for the Bullets.

It looks like Partsconnexion has the Bullets for $36 and the Basis for $27.

BTW, why doesn't Eichmann list/describe the Basis on their site?

Regards,
Bryan

Feb 11, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bryman79
BTW, why doesn't Eichmann list/describe the Basis on their site?

It is fairly new so they probably haven't updated their site yet.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #11 of 13
At the risk of sounding self-promoting I am the distributor for a very nice line of connectors made by Puresonic. These too have the lightweight polymer "chassis". All of the connectors have a very low mass with a black anodized barrel that is machined from solid aluminum. These can also be purchased with a satin silver finished brass body. Puresonic makes three different types of RCA connectors for different wire configurations. The Puresonic GAP RCA plug has a single larger ground tab and works perfectly with coaxial cables. The Puresonic "BALANCE" is most like the Eichmann product in that it has only two small connections points, perfect for paired wires. The third connector from Puresonic is called the "MULTI CONTACT", it has two tabs and the hookup for the signal. One tab is for the shield, one for the return, and one for the signal. The shield and return tabs are electrically separated until they are actually connected to the RCA jack. All are patented and make use of some very unique methods to minimize capacitance, current eddys, and provide the greatest possible conductivity. The center pins are hollow, made from Tellurium copper (OFC), they have a very high pressure, low resistance contact for ground. Best of all their cost is quite tame compared to other connectors that might be considered similar....I think you know what I mean. Considering this is a 31 year old company I might have had a top-notch RCA plug a long time ago. I wanted to keep this informative so you would know about these, it's clear few do.

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #12 of 13
Wow, this is an old thread.  That being said, I went to the Puresonic website and the connectors are quite intriguing.  I don't see them on your website, though.  Will you be updating soon with pricing info?

Oct 27, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #13 of 13
Hey FraGGleR
I will be getting them up on the website shortly. Hopefully by Monday. I do have most of the models in stock right now although I sold through much of my initial order after Rocky Mountain AudioFest. If you would like to contact me at hifiguy@thecablepro.com I can email a copy of the catalog to you. There is product in there that is not on the website. I'm pretty excited about it, been looking for a product that offered a level of cosmetic refinement and versatility to match or exceed the performance of the very best connectors. I think the PureSonic product hits the nail on the head. Let me know if I can of service. Best, Ted Paisley 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back