plasma screen, what to look for?
Sep 4, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
Both of those are EDTV, not HDTV. That may or may not be important for you.

Tiger Direct is not well respected many places so buyer beware.

smily_headphones1.gif
this is the kind of info I need to know (I really have no idea what is what!). So the way I understand it HDTV is better but not supported in many places ? What do you recommend for my price range ?

hows this?

http://www.amphotoworld.com/product....m10&p=included

Sep 4, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 20
Chef, what if you were to purchase an inexpensive (less than $2K) Plasma and found the gas leaking, brightness fading after just a couple of years? These types of problems can be as a result of the TV being shipped flat, dropped or manufactured poorly. IMHO it's better to spend about $800 more for a HDTV by a major brand (Panasonic or Sony) and have better peace of mind. Also keep in mind that some companies (Panasonic specifically) have a new phosphor technology that extends the life of the set well into the 75K hour range.

Sep 4, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 20
Ya i would never spend that kind of money on a no-name company. I would spend the money on a better tv. alternatively you could always go for a dlp for that amount of money.

Sep 4, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 20
check out avsforum.com. They have the most up to date info on the best models for your money.

Sep 4, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 20
I have a Viewsonic VPW450HD and after 1 and 1/2 years I was getting RGB patterns on my screen. Upon inspection, I found a burnt plug jack on one of the power supplies and had to cut the plug jack and solder the burnt pin. There are no authorized Viewsonic repair places in NYC and they wanted me to ship it to Cali.
My point being, big name or not, make sure it is serviceable in your area, and maybe get an extended warranty (which I never usually do).

Sep 4, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 20
Personally, I'd wait just a bit more until 1080P comes. If I was to spend 1,000+ on a television now, I'd make sure it could play material 10+ years down the line.

Sep 5, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 20
Up until the back of this year LCD's were limited to 30", now it's a viable option, as is DLP. They do give off a lot of heat, but supposedly have a longer shelf life (excuse the pun). The only advantage that LCD's have over plasma's is their refresh rates for blacks.

Sep 5, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 20
Plasmas generally have better blacks and higher contrast ratio so as a TV, it's just more involving to look at.

I would also get a high definition set.

Sep 5, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 20
Correct me if I am wrong, but LCD's do not suffer from burn in, moreover they are generally sleeker and have longer life, also they generally have a higher resolution than a plasma. If it was me I would go down the LCD route even though it is the more expensive option. This is just my opinion, I am now just waiting to be flamed by Plasma fanboys, however I must add the Panasonic Viera range of Plasmas are superb, the best picture quality I have seen in any tv.

Sep 5, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonharkin
Correct me if I am wrong, but LCD's do not suffer from burn in, moreover they are generally sleeker and have longer life...however I must add the Panasonic Viera range of Plasmas are superb, the best picture quality I have seen in any tv.

You are right; LCDs suffer less from burn-in than most Plasma Displays; however, there is a class of Plasma TVs that have a new phosphor technology that prevents burn-in and has a life expectancy similar to tube-type televisions (the Viera is one of these TVs). LCDs are slightly thinner; keep in mind that, due to the popularity of Plasma TVs, you'll find more popular features first on the Plasmas and then in the future on LCDs. Some key features are:

1.Cable Card capability
2.RGB and Video Inputs ready-to-go (switchover from PC to TV display)
3.Wall, Ceiling and Suspended Mounting Options

...and for the advanced user...
Hard Disk Modules (industrial Plasma Displays) for display of prerecorded content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back