Plans for iPhone support?
Sep 29, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #31 of 48
Any update on the iPhone LOD?

I've been using the Apple dock with a mini to mini and it works great... The dock senses when the mini plug is inserted and therefore mutes the onboard speakers.

This approach is fine for desktop use, but not feasible for use when mobile.

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:10 AM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any update on the iPhone LOD?

I've been using the Apple dock with a mini to mini and it works great... The dock senses when the mini plug is inserted and therefore mutes the onboard speakers.

This approach is fine for desktop use, but not feasible for use when mobile.

Any update please?

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any update please?

No the ones I have been making are still like the one described above. They do work but you have the power down the phone and then plug the cable into the phone, it then boots and you can use the line out.

thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Nov 6, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #35 of 48
Hello Ken, any chance you can share with the DIY comunity the correct pinout for an iphone dock? My brother is getting his next week and I would like to build him one.

Manuel

Feb 27, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Britbonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken,

Glad to hear that you were able to make this work. Of all the line out guys, I would have guessed that you would be the first one to crack this. Nice work. My primary amp use is on planes so using airplane mode not an issue. However, I also have a lineout set up in the car where I'm happy to trade off the GSM noise in exchange for not using the stupid headphone jack.

2 questions:
  • Can we assume that if the cable works for the iPhone that it also works for an iPod?
  • Any chance to retrofit existing line out cables to work with the iPhone? As I already have a nice Cryo Dock would prefer to get that upgraded rather than buy another one.
Thanks

John

I'd love to know about these questions as well.

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #38 of 48
Hi, I just received my Cryo Dock and works perfect with my Rockbox'd iPod 5.5

Then tested with my iPhone and discovered that doesn´t worked. (Like if nothing were connected)

Then, i found this thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, the iPhone doesn't seems to have the same dock of the iPods, but there is one thing that keeps me wondering:

Some time ago, I've got a BELKIN adapter for the car. This is basically and amp and a charger that takes the power from the 12V car lighter.

The device features its main body, (with the 12V plug) and a attached wire with the iPod dock. In its main body there is also a volume knob and a female Mini-Jack LineOut to send the amplified signal wherever. (In my case, to my autoradio's RCA line in)

This is the thing:
Belkin : Auto Kit for iPod w/ Dock Connector

STD1_F8V7058xAPL-BLK.jpg

When I plugged the iPhone for the first time, everything worked perfectly. (Despite the iPhone showing a message saying: "warning, this accessory may not be compatible...blah blah blah...". But worked, (the signal goes out through the dock and not through the internal speaker). No needing to restart the iPhone, neither.

That's why I got surprised when the ALO connector doesn't.

Why not reverse engineering this BELKIN adapter and see what is doing?

And, will be some kind mod directives to the actual dock cables to allow them work with the iPhone, if something found inside the BELKIN drives to a easy fix?

May 12, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #39 of 48
Aug 2, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #40 of 48
I am new to the head-fi scene - just purchased a pair of AKG-701s, but they are not here as of yet.

I am also looking at a 3G iPhone - are there any updates on a line-out solution? I think it would be super sweet to be able to take the iPhone dock audio, amplify it with a bit/airhead, and rock in the library while I am doing research.

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #41 of 48
The iPhone requires some additional pins be wired up, so a ALO ipod LOD is not going to work for a iPhone.

If you bought a iPod cable for ALO it will not work with a iPhone.

If you want a iPhone cable I can make you one but I will not stock iPhone cables off the shelf at this time. A iPhone cable is more work than a regular ipod LOD. I add $20 to the cost of the stock ipod cable to activate use of the iPhone, and are put into the custom cables to be made que which is typically a day to 3 days.

Once again the iPhone cables ALO makes will work with a iPhone as well as a iPod. They do not work by simply plugging them into the iPhone that is already on, so its not as simple as a iPod LOD. The procedure is,

1. Power down the iPhone
2. Plug in the iPhone cable, at which time the iPhone will automatically power back on
3. Use the iPhone with your amp.
beerchug.gif
once you unplug the cable you have to start back to step #1.

Also I have not tried the iPhone cables with a 3G phone so I can not say for sure if it works with the new-er phone but I would guess it would be fine.

Thanks All

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #43 of 48
I got my “iPhone Cryo Dock” from ALO Audio this morning and it works great with the iPhone 3G. Thanks Ken!

Aug 19, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my “iPhone Cryo Dock” from ALO Audio this morning and it works great with the iPhone 3G. Thanks Ken!

Remy,

Awesome thanks for the report out.

Ken

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just to be sure, do you have to power down the iPhone before plugging it in to get it to work right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back