Planning to upgrade my source....
Apr 24, 2003 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Matthew-Spaltro

1000+ M-m-er:Larthenon Marthenon.
because I bought the Corda HA 1 MkII and the Denon just won't cut it. You should not spend more on amp then you do on source.

So anything in the 800-1000 dollar range is my budget.

Apr 24, 2003 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 48
I don't know much about this but here is what I think. Wouldn't it be better to spend money to get a DAC instead? I mean eventually, you will need a DAC to get the most out of your future CDP so why not spend the money on it first and get the most out of your current CDP. Unless the transport on your current CDP is so bad its not worthy of a decent DAC. I have a Sony ns500v and that's what I plan on doing.

Apr 24, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 48
When I got my Denon 370, I was pretty happy with the improvement in sound. I understand there's a mod for snipping out the Denon's headphone jack circuitry that improves the line out. Probably show up in these forums on a search by Denon model. But it's not a bad source.

Apr 24, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 48
Quote:

So anything in the 800-1000 dollar range is my budget.

Do you want SACD and/or DVD-A or just redbook? For redbook, my guess would be that the modded Music Hall MMF-CD25 at $950 will be an outstanding source for the money, better than anything else below $1K and probably better than most up to $2K, as the unmodded player is better than most below $1K.

Quote:

I don't know much about this but here is what I think. Wouldn't it be better to spend money to get a DAC instead?

If your player has digital outs and would make a decent transport, you might consider this option.

Apr 24, 2003 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 48
Option #1: Get a used Sony SCD-555ES for ~$550 and get it modded at http://www.sacdmods.com for $600. This would make a killer source with the convenience of a 5-disc changer (definitely handy when sharing some tunes (and making some tunes) with your girlfriend(s)). Add a decent aftermarket powercord and you're all set.

Option #2: Go vinyl and get a turntable. A Music Hall MMF-7 could be nice. and you'd have money left over for a phono pre also.

Apr 24, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 48
Spend some time at Audiogon and look for a bargain. I just sold my Arcam CD23, so if you are looking for a regular Redbook player, these are nearly impossible to beat for the price. They are simply a fabulous machine. If you want SACD you should look at something that can be easily modified to make some improvements. The Music Hall Cd25, Philips SACD1000, Sony's SACD units, all are easily modified and made to sound incredible.

Apr 24, 2003 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 48
To add to the Redbook only CD-player list, the Linn Genki is a great player. I have it set up with AT W2002 and Micro Zotl. Great detail, drive and solidly constructed. Picked mine up on Audiogon, usually retails for $1700, can get it for around $800.

Hope this helps,
Chefbeldar

Apr 24, 2003 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 48
You sure it's the player and not the recording you don't like? Whenever I upgrade I find there are some recording that just plain old suck. Frankly I downgraded a while back because the only thing that sounded good was well recorded music, almost exclusively jazz and blues at the time.

Anyway not sure how close your PC is but I prefer the M-Audio Revo to the Shanling CD-S100 unmodded. That's pretty high praise for a $100 sound card. For more money the Sony ES SACD players are very nice. On the DACs is you want mellow go Bel Canto, want bite go MSB. That said you probably just have recordings that are poorly recorded. The higher you go, the worse they get.

Apr 24, 2003 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 48
I've got the music hall mmf cd25 modified by parts connextion. 975.00 shipped, it replaced a rega jupiter 2000, which replaced the planet 2000 and the philips 963. I've listened to several players under 2 grand and IMO this is the strongest player of the ones I've heard.

Apr 25, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #10 of 48
I have all ready done the mod. To my ears I still find the Denon too bright. Most of the members think of the Denon as a warm sounding player. But I tend too find the Denon too bright for my taste. Thats true, it's not a bad source by any means but the consencus around here at head fi is that your amp should never cost more then your source.

Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
When I got my Denon 370, I was pretty happy with the improvement in sound. I understand there's a mod for snipping out the Denon's headphone jack circuitry that improves the line out. Probably show up in these forums on a search by Denon model. But it's not a bad source.

Apr 25, 2003 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 48
I second the linn genki or a arcam. Also I like the rega's. Audiogon a good place to look for really bargins. But let your ears by the guide. try a few out at some local shops.

Apr 25, 2003 at 10:01 AM Post #12 of 48
Yet one more redbook option Marantz CD600 OSE KI signature.
I have the OSE only (not KI) and all the comparisons I've done since I bought it show me that it easily compares to more expensive players. It also depends on your musical tastes. I am mainly into rock and the Marantz is a great rocker, fast and clean. For classical perhaps a warmer player can be better.

Apr 25, 2003 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 48
What were you using for an amp before? Because if the Denon wasn't 'bright' then and is now you may be wasting your time finding a dull CD player when the brightness is coming from the amp. Also what cans you using?

Apr 26, 2003 at 2:14 AM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Solude
What were you using for an amp before? Because if the Denon wasn't 'bright' then and is now you may be wasting your time finding a dull CD player when the brightness is coming from the amp. Also what cans you using?

The Denon was allways bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back