Planning to get Grados SR 80, have a few questions.
Dec 13, 2011 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

musicfreak4000

New Head-Fier
Are they durable and do the pads wear out over time or are they long lasting. Also I know there good for Rock and Metal so that is a plus for me, how good is the quality over earbuds. I own zune earbuds and on the train it's hard to hear the music when there's to much noise. Do they cancel out noise, even a bit would be nice. I have a medium budget and so far I can buy headphones for 100 bucks. Grados seems pleasing and I heard lots of praise on Head FI for them would like some replies on them. Thanks.  

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 15
I own a pair and the sound will be 10x better then the Zune earbud. But as for listening to it on the train, they are open headphone, so you will here the outside noise. These are probably not for you if you want them for transportation.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 15
Are there any rock closed headphones similar to Grados, although I don't mind people hearing my music. I've heard Grados are the best for rock but they are open so I have no choice but to get them if the quality is that awesome. I also heard open head phones have better quality than closed. Malveaux I didn't understand did you mean they cancel out noise on the train or other noisy areas or not.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
Are there any rock closed headphones similar to Grados, although I don't mind people hearing my music. I've heard Grados are the best for rock but they are open so I have no choice but to get them if the quality is that awesome. I also heard open head phones have better quality than closed. Malveaux I didn't understand did you mean they cancel out noise on the train or other noisy areas or not.

Unfortunately, though all Grados have excellent sound quality, they are quite poor for sound isolation purposes. If you are on a train (or really anywhere more noisy than a library) you *will* hear everything that's going on around you in addition to the music. No sound is blocked by the phones and the phones to not keep your sound from being heard by everyone else. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 15
The Sennheiser HD 25-1 II's seem to be pretty popular around here. I haven't heard them myself, but they're closed-back and reportedly good for rock. The only rub is that they're more expensive than the SR-80's by about $30.

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 15
175 to expensive right now. I'll stick with Grados. By the way anyone used Grados headphones on the train and what are your experiences. Is it good and do people nag you because they can hear your tunes. Just wondering. lol.
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
So are there other headphones comparable to grados rock sound with sound isolation or they are in their own league.

Another vote for the HD-25 I II, they are fast with punchy bass. 

Again, its not a good idea to use an open back headphones when traveling. Its just annoying, lots of leakage. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
By the way anyone used Grados headphones on the train and what are your experiences. Is it good and do people nag you because they can hear your tunes. Just wondering. lol.
wink.gif

They are wide open. You will hear EVERYTHING around you, plus your music. It will sound like a mess.
Everyone around you will hear what you're hearing loud and clear. Grados are like little speakers. Be prepared to be frowned at.
If you continue regardless of this, just make sure you don't turn up the volume to compensate, you'll end up with damaged hearing.

Very best,

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
I guess I'll save up for the sennheisers HD 25 I II thanks guys.
wink.gif

Its worth waiting. Hopefully you find a good deal. 

Edit: It does a nice job with electronica, fast and punchy bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back