Planning to get Denon D2000s, unamped?
Nov 28, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #16 of 26
Realtek doesn't sound good with any headphone since it's very thin and harsh and baaaaad. For start i recommend creative x-fi since it can drive them pretty good unamped and doesn't cost much. Eventually if you like what you hear and want to further improve SQ you'll buy some nice amp and it will bring the best of them. And they do isolate to a certain level but nothing special. Not their strong point.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried and probably one of the best in the world for that matter.

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #17 of 26
Get the D2000s. You will be happy. They are VERY good closed cans especially if you want a little bit of extra bass.

They don't isolate as well as other closed cans but you can't have everything.

If you want to improve them in the future, invest in a better amp/dac.

Nov 28, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #18 of 26
There are ways to make them isolate better and prevent sound leakage but you'll had to do some mods if you're up for them.

You really dont need the D2000's amped but if you do, listen to what he said in the lst post and get a Little dot I+

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #19 of 26
If you listen at moderate volume, the denons should prevent leaking enough to not disturb anyone around you.

Nov 28, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #21 of 26
Umm, but moderate is low (below 35% of his volume) and very low volumes (ideal for watch TV news/documentals and listen to classical music), but that is not as enough/engaging to listen to rock or another 'aggressive'/fast music....
The only possible solution to prevent leakage at louder volumes, is sealing a little bit more or for complete the air flow ring/port, but it will (possibly/for sure...) make the headphone sound more closed in, which isn't recommended (with the stock earpads) at least that you have the Beyer DT880/990 Velour earpads, you can do for sure....
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you listen at moderate volume, the denons should prevent leaking enough to not disturb anyone around you.

Exactly. another thing that can help with the isolation/sound leakage, is to do the Markl mod in the earpads (So, it will increase the seal)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapiozona /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are ways to make them isolate better and prevent sound leakage but you'll had to do some mods if you're up for them.

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootingStars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leaking is okay I guess, but is the isolation fine?

Nope. The D2000 is big and sloppy. I like the D2000 for their laid back punch, but there is better headphones out there than the Denons for isolations...

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #23 of 26
I disagree. What would you suggest?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draupnir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. The D2000 is big and sloppy. I like the D2000 for their laid back punch, but there is better headphones out there than the Denons for isolations...

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #24 of 26
I like the D2000 very much, even more than the HD650.
I am just now beginning to coax the bottom end definition from these cans.
They want to tease me with hints for now, and I wont stop until I have low freqs that match the superb mid and upper ends.
Unmatched for soundstage, IMO of course.

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the D2000 very much, even more than the HD650.
I am just now beginning to coax the bottom end definition from these cans.
They want to tease me with hints for now, and I wont stop until I have low freqs that match the superb mid and upper ends.
Unmatched for soundstage, IMO of course.

So your "0404usb►24V Aikido (4x 6GM8)" drives the D2000 better than the HD650 but not quite well enough? And what change are you considering for improvement? Thanks

Nov 29, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #26 of 26
That's a good question.
At this point I am beginning to doubt my source, the 0404.
Perhaps I need to try another output coupling cap, but what do you do when relying on 1000uF+ electrolytics for the main coupling?
Also I would like very much to try the Denon 7000.
Another possiblility is I am just unable to hear that well any more.
Also, it may just be an inherent part of the D2000's design. I may be at the limit here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back