Planning to buy Beyer DT770 + Amp, should I plug them to a decoder?
Mar 22, 2008 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Amatsu

100+ Head-Fier
The thing is I'm going to buy the Beyerdynamic DT770pro 80 and an amp very soon, and I was wondering if I should plug the amp directly to the soundcard. Currently I have a Creative DDTS-100 decoder connected by optical cable to the soundcard and I don't know what would be the best choice:

a) Plug the amp to the decoder.
b) Unplug the decoder and connect the amp directly to the soundcard.

What do you think? Thank you in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 5
If by decoder you mean DAC (digital to analog converter) then yes, you would get better sound by bypassing your sound card. There's a lot of electrical noise inside a computer case and if you use a breakout box (like a DAC or similar) you can cut down on that noise.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the answer.

I don't think it's a DAC, take a look:
Creative Decoder DDTS-100 - Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, Pro Logic II & DTS Neo:6

It shouldn't improve the sound I think, but with my current (crappy) headphones I get a different sound through the decoder and it's different than if I connect to the sound card directly, I don't know if it sounds better but it sure is different.

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 5
There's actually got to be a DAC in there somewhere, otherwise you couldn't have headphone outputs on there. If you've already got it (which you do), then if you use that for your DAC as you'll get improved sound in relation to the line out on your sound card. If you were looking to buy a separate DAC then there are many more options out there for you that will yield better sound, it all depends upon your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back