Planning to build my first cable, need advise
Nov 28, 2008 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

-NaCl-

Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first time posting in the DIY section.
As the stock extension cable for my M-Audio Q40 failed, I figured I might as well build a sturdy cable on my own, which sounds like fun.
I read the DIY cable guide in the stick and visited partexpress and markertek. Hmm.. is there any other websites that sell parts but with cheaper shipping?
I don't want to pay $10 for shipping just for a plug.

For the 3.5mm male plug, due to the design of the Q40, the regular plug wouldn't fit. It requires something like
cableuv7.jpg

a little part which can be screwed into the headphone. I couldn't seem to be able to find one except for that adapter sold on markertek. Can someone point me to one.

I am also new to soldering. Is there anything I should be aware when buying a soldering gun and soldering iron? Those ones on Ebay are fairly cheap.

Thanks in advance. Happy black friday.

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 5
The mainly is the 1/8 male plug going into the headphone. The stock cable (shown above) is actually screwed into the headphone.
You can kinda see the helical grove around the headphone jack area.
leftky8.jpg

That middle section is actually the helical groove that screws in. And that little section is slightly smaller than the base of a 1/8 male plug. I tried it with a plug I already have, doesn't fit in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back