Planning on buying Schiit Magni + Modi combo, need help with set-up
Aug 1, 2014 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EpicHobo1

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am planning on buying the Schiit Magni + Modi combo and need some help with the set-up. I am new to this kind of stuff so I'm not really sure how it works.

I am planning on using them with with my Sennheiser HD595. I also have a pair of ATH-m50.
Primary use for them would be for listening to music on my PC, and also gaming on my PS3/PS4/xbox360

So basically, I want a set-up that works for PC as well as for gaming consoles. I know that there are two models for the Modi (USB and optical). Are there really any difference between the two? Can I use both USB and optical with my PC and gaming consoles with the correct cables? Which one would be better?

Speaking of cables: If I understood correctly, I plug the Magni and Modi together using a 2 RCA/2R CA cable. Now I wanna plug my DAC in my PC or console. For the USB model I would use a usb A-B cable to plug into my computer. Would this work as well with my gaming consoles? Also, I'm not entirely sure what kind of cable I would need if I had the optical Modi model and wanted to plug it into my PC. Again, would the same set-up work with my gaming consoles?

Thanks!

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't think gaming consoles have USB output. Just optical. Most computers have optical. If yours does, you should get the Modi with optical. You can only get the Modi with one or the other. Then you just need an optical cable and RCA interconnects. But you will have to unplug one from the Modi to plug in the other unless you can find some kind of switch.

If you can expand your budget, get the Audio-GD NFB-15. The NFB-15 is a combined amp, dac, and preamp with usb, optical, and digital coaxial inputs. So you could hook up your computer via USB and your gaming console via optical, and use the switch on the front to change between them. It also has RCA outs, so that you can use the DAC to send audio to a set of powered speakers or to a speaker amp. They are $250 + shipping (I think that usually runs $35 or $40). This equipment is just as high quality and well-respected on Head-Fi as Schiit stuff (I have owned both). You can learn more and ask questions in the impressions thread.

This was the mistake I made starting out. Went with the O2 ODAC separates, and then found I needed an RCA out for speakers. The versatility of all those features really makes the extra money worth it. Plus, the Audio-GD has a more powerful headphone amp than the Magni :)

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks a lot for your input! Exactly the answer I was looking for. The Audio-GD NFB-15 would definitely be more appropriate for my needs, and for only 50$ more. I have visited the site you linked to, but oddly can't find out how to buy one? Do I have to contact them by e-mail? How does it work? Thanks! 
Edit: My bad, I didn't click on the impression thread you linked. Figured out how to order one :)

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 5
  Speaking of cables: If I understood correctly, I plug the Magni and Modi together using a 2 RCA/2R CA cable. Now I wanna plug my DAC in my PC or console. For the USB model I would use a usb A-B cable to plug into my computer. Would this work as well with my gaming consoles? Also, I'm not entirely sure what kind of cable I would need if I had the optical Modi model and wanted to plug it into my PC.

I'm extremely curious as to how you would connect the optical from the Modi to a soundcard, specifically the Xonar D1:

http://www.asus.com/us/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_D1/

So far I'm thinking this is the right one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28M6143

I've never tried an above wire so would it just be plug and play or would I have to change settings on my soundcard to use it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back