Planning a budget system and I have a question
May 8, 2010 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

luckybaer

Headphoneus Supremus
While digging around my storage room in the basement for my old Playstation 1 (read a Stereophile article praising the CD player function, and I was bored), I came across my old record collection.  It was larger than I had remembered, and includes everything from Elvis Costello's first 5 albums, the Dead Kennedys, and Madonna's "Like a Virgin."  ROFLMAO!

Anyway, it was then I realized that I'd really like to fire those LPs up and listen to them.  Of course, I don't have a turntable anymore - kind of a problem if I want to spin the vinyl.  I also want to turn my kids on to LPs - my older boy is 12, and he has a slight clue about records, but can't imagine what it would be like to play and listen to one.  He plays piano and violin and loves listening to music, so this should be a nice "father/son activity."  Heck, it beats letting him watch some of the crap cartoons on tv, and it beats having him talk on the phone to girls and waste time...

I'm looking to buy:  turntable (duh!), integrated amp, speakers (bookshelf), and cd player.

Of those 4 components, I am looking to spend no more than $300-$450 each.  My question is this:  is there any one of those components that would benefit if I were to expand my budget by $200 for that ONE component?  In other words, which of the four components would be worth spending an additional $200 on (if there is one)?

My guess would be speakers, but I'd like to hear what others think.

May 8, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 17
Why don't you just buy whatever it is that rips vinyl to FLAC? 
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 17
I'd like to have something that I can listen to without headphones that isn't my PC.  I miss the days of lying down on the couch and chilling out to music - cassettes or vinyl.  I want my sons to appreciate good sounding stuff the "old fashioned way."  lol

May 8, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 17
Cool, understand and was just being a smartass.
devil_face.gif
But it is a legitimate option.

My vote would be for speakers as well.

Recommendation: If you love vintage gear (including record players) or are looking to go that way, check out http://audiokarma.org/  if you don't already know about it.

May 8, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 17
Hey! Talking to girls isn't a waste of time 
tongue_smile.gif
  Speakers would probably benefit the most from a budget increase (though turntable might also - I don't know much about those).  You could probably also save some money in the integrated amp department depending on how hard to drive the speakers you get are.  You'll want to make sure the integrated you get has a phono stage to be able to play vinyl.  Watch ebay for a NAD series 20 integrated.  They're pretty nice and you can find them for less than 200.  There's also plenty of others to check out.  I'm sure others with chime in.

May 11, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 17
I have some old (like 8 or 9 year old) Polk Audio bookshelf speakers that I am using for my surround sound speakers in the ol' home theater set-up.  I plan to use those until I can cough up the cash for a better set.  They aren't being used now, since my 3-year old is so destructive.  We started dismantling things and we are down to a $50 DVD player, my Onkyo receiver (which is pretty rugged), and an old Sony Wega TV.  No home theater upgrades until the kid stops wrecking my stuff!!!  No worries about the new stuff, though.  The new stuff will be set up in the man cave, and I can put it out of his reach and he has less access to the mancave than he does to the family room.

I'm looking at a Yamaha RX-497 receiver.  It has the phono stage, subwoofer out, etc.  No digital coax or optical, though.  THere is a Harmon Kardon for $100 more that has the digital connections, but I feel more comfortable with the Yamaha's rep and I really don't NEED the digital inputs.  A good DAC is on my list - far down on the list - but it is on my list.  I can get by with analog and not whine too much.  THe HK sure looks nice, though.

I am also looking at a Denon DP-300F turntable.  It is fully automatic and belt driven.  It plays 33 and 45 rpm records, so that is good for me.  It looks pretty simple (not as simple as some of the budget minimalist systems like Pro-Ject, etc.) and it receives favorable write-ups.

The receiver, turntable, and my old bookshelf speakers will hold me over for a few months until I have enough money for the next purchase.  I'm willing to spend around $500-$600 for speakers, and about $350 for a CD player.

May 11, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 17
The P1 is solid entry level vinyl spinner and very much worth the $$$. Many other entry level tables don't measure up to the P1's aural abilities...don't get me wrong the P2 and the P3 outperform the P1 by a fair margin but the P1 is nearly a universal pick as THE entry level table to start out on. No better recommendation I can think of that that....I myself would love to have a P3 or better down the road....

Parasound (used separates) is another solid choice besides NAD for looking at an integrated or preamp/amp combo (with built into MM phono stage). Those speakers you have should be alright for now but I would look at adding a sub at some point to flesh out the bottom octave.....or getting full range floor standers when the budget allows for such.

Peete.

May 11, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
The P1 is solid entry level vinyl spinner and very much worth the $$$. Many other entry level tables don't measure up to the P1's aural abilities...don't get me wrong the P2 and the P3 outperform the P1 by a fair margin but the P1 is nearly a universal pick as THE entry level table to start out on. No better recommendation I can think of that that....I myself would love to have a P3 or better down the road....

Parasound (used separates) is another solid choice besides NAD for looking at an integrated or preamp/amp combo (with built into MM phono stage). Those speakers you have should be alright for now but I would look at adding a sub at some point to flesh out the bottom octave.....or getting full range floor standers when the budget allows for such.

Peete.

Sounds like sound advice.  When I do pull the trigger, I think I'll go with the P1.  It should satisfy my needs well, and of course, I'm sure it will serve as a gateway turntable that leads to upgrades in the future. 

I agree with you about the sub.  I figure my order of purchases will be:  TT & Receiver --> CD --> Sub --> Upgraded speakers

May 15, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #14 of 17
OK.  I think this is what I'm going to do:

Turntable:  Denon DP-300F (I like the fact that it is automatic.  It gets good reviews, too.  Unless a P1 or Debut III is head and shoulders above the Denon, I can't see passing it up.)
Receiver:  Yamaha RX-497 (Common thread from what I've read is that Yamaha builds things to last.  THis receiver has inputs for turntables, and it has optical and coax inputs.)
Speakers:  Polk Audio RT25i (I am going to poach these from our dormant home theater system.  Eventually, I'll need to "un-poach" them and buy something else.  For now, they'll do.)
CD Player:  Marantz CD5003 (Probably purchased a bit later for cash flow purposes.  I don't plan on leaving this purchase on my credit card - just use it for the order & then pay it off.)
Cables:  I'll use whatever comes with the goods, and once I have a better feel for what I've got and what reach I need, I'll go to Blue Jeans Cables and order from them.  They are pretty good "bang for the buck" cable makers, and the option to choose from multiple colors is cool.

May 15, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #15 of 17
as a last minute addendum on the turntable front, check out the Technics SL-1200 (and all of its variants).  They're sold as DJ turntables but are solid as a rock and are popular enough that upgrade and replacement parts about. You can find them for around 200-300 used and they'll outlast that Denon by a long run.  Add a new cartridge and any number of upgrades down the line and you have a very respectable turntable.  Hell, you can even put a Rega arm on it.  Its not automatic, like the Denon, but there's been a lot more respect flowing its way in the audiophile world as of late, and if you want a little project to work on with you son down the road, plenty of places to go with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back